PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
First time I've noticed this, and I somehow doubt it is a SP.com-only thing. I haven't checked around the other online retailers, but I'm pretty sure the inclusion of this patently obvious label is new within the last day or two. And it applies to all -- you guessed it -- "tobacco pipes" on the site.

tobacco pipe.png

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
maybe it's because the way drug paraphernalia laws are written technically every single person is breaking the law by having things. Seriously the wording is so vague that it literally includes anything that could be used for or with drugs. People have gotten arrested in the past for books because the info in it (not any time recently). So it wouldn't surprise me if a lawyer said cover your self. Or if some state changed their law and to comply. Or could even be noticing things people put into the search box.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
maybe it's because the way drug paraphernalia laws are written technically every single person is breaking the law by having things. Seriously the wording is so vague that it literally includes anything that could be used for or with drugs. People have gotten arrested in the past for books because the info in it (not any time recently). So it wouldn't surprise me if a lawyer said cover your self. Or if some state changed their law and to comply. Or could even be noticing things people put into the search box.
nice i didn't finish the sentence because i was also talking with my girlfriend

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Well, if you just use the word "pipe" to search things online, before you see anything about drug paraphernalia, you get a lot of information about concrete drainage pipes and PC household plumbing, so specifying a tobacco pipe, in this context, may be quite practical. A lot of people don't come to the "front door" home page and just search from some unrelated site, so spelling it out makes sense. It's kind of mindless, but in the digital world, mindless is apropos.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, if you just use the word "pipe" to search things online, before you see anything about drug paraphernalia, you get a lot of information about concrete drainage pipes and PC household plumbing, so specifying a tobacco pipe, in this context, may be quite practical. A lot of people don't come to the "front door" home page and just search from some unrelated site, so spelling it out makes sense. It's kind of mindless, but in the digital world, mindless is apropos.
Except for searches online, invisible tags that search engines read would certainly contain the words "tobacco pipes" and a lot of other words, too.

So, I'd love to learn the significance of this change....

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Except for searches online, invisible tags that search engines read would certainly contain the words "tobacco pipes" and a lot of other words, too.

So, I'd love to learn the significance of this change....
My best guesses were:
a) something to do with US tobacco regulations, namely taxes affecting tobacco smoking instruments, but that might have only been in the Big Ass Bill that got shut down by a certain senator from WV; or some other new law requiring explicit descriptions on tobacco websites -- but, again, no new laws got passed in the last couple years
b) they wanted to delineate that the pipes are FOR TOBACCO NOT WEED.

The latter seems likely because it's like when you walk into a head shop and you ask to see their tobacco pipes and they're like "Hey, man, these are ALLL tobacco pipes."