PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think a log book of blends is a good idea. Because I do a certain amount of writing anyway, I don't do this with tobacco blends, or wine, but it would be a good exercise. I'd decide on entries in advance. Possibilities would be: Name of blends, name of brand, retail source, date of purchase, constituent tobaccos and flavorings if any, first impressions, subsequent bowls, grade by your own system, and any comments beyond that. Date those later entries. Note any pipe purchases along the way. I think most people fail at this because they lag and then omit entries, but it could become a habit.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
I keep more of a “diary” than a log. Use a simple 3x5 bound journal or a “Field Notes” book. Now, keep in mind, I only smoke 1, at most 2 bowls a day. My simple notes:
Date
Pipe smoked
Tobacco smoked
Location and time of day smoked
1-5 rating “right now” (5=highest)
Couple sentences to myself about taste, weather, burn rate, relights, wet/dry, and maybe what I was drinking with it.
I go back to flip through the entries 3-4 times a year...
Have fun! And keep it fun - not a job...?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
All of the different "personality types" have different needs to be satisfy. Pipe smoking, in particular, seems to bring these traits/needs to the fore. Some need all sorts of paraphernalia, others need strict order leaving nothing to chance. Then, there are the few of us who simply enjoy loading, lighting and smoking. We, thankfully. require no regimentation, excessive doodads, operating procedures. lists, etc. and lastly, most importantly, do not need the authorization/validation of others. We simply smoke. All of this is not to say the others are inferior to us simpletons. We simply take enjoyment from the simple things in life.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
I'm getting older but my memory of what blends I like and which ones I don't is still sufficient for my purposes. Why do people want to over think such a relaxing and enjoyable past time and somehow screw it up?
Fair and great question!
For me:
I only smoke a bowl a day. That is a long time between my current 30 pipes, and about 35 open blends. I have favorites that get more play time, and some that languish. I need some way to remind myself “dry this one out more”, or “this tastes better in a cob”, or ”I like this better in a wide, shallow bowl”. I have figured out what I like, what I don’t over the years. Not onerous for a once a day “dessert” pipe in the evening. I consider it part of my pipe routine. I jot notes for 30 seconds after cleaning the pipe, after a 45 minute relaxing smoke...good ratio to me.
I may well eventually get to the point that the journal is useless and redundant, and I’ve truly narrowed the tobacco and pipe combo. I dread that day...which I would then call this “process“ a “habit”... I’ve got enough “habits”...?

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Very good - ya got me on that one!
I guess I’ll slightly clarify:
Although I have a ”routine” for washing my truck, and a “routine” for changing the oil in said truck, I don’ t “habitually” wash my truck or habitually change my oil!
Similar is not same...
I do, however, “habitually” (and more likely, addictively) use Snus.
So again, for me, I have a pipe smoking “process” (which includes a short, quick journal entry), and a Snus habit. ?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Very good - ya got me on that one!
I guess I’ll slightly clarify:
Although I have a ”routine” for washing my truck, and a “routine” for changing the oil in said truck, I don’ t “habitually” wash my truck or habitually change my oil!
Similar is not same...
I do, however, “habitually” (and more likely, addictively) use Snus.
So again, for me, I have a pipe smoking “process” (which includes a short, quick journal entry), and a Snus habit. ?
Just messing with you.?

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I keep a list of everything I’ve tried, with a short description of my impressions, maybe a terse sentence or two. And a star rating of my subjective impression, essentially how excited I was to try it again. Objective star-style ratings are not possible with so little experience.

I revisit the high rated blends when I want something dependable, and the low rated blends when I want to see if my palate or skills have developed enough to enjoy it more.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I use my Instagram feed as a way to keep a visual log of the bowls I smoke, making note of the blend and pipe each time. When the combination is especially great I tag the image, thereby keeping a running list of those sublime smokes that I can refer back to. This also serves as a creative outlet for me and affords me another way to deepen my enjoyment of pipe smoking.
IG: brooklynpipeclub

Reactions: BROBS and Ctbill

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
A log book, or journal will be of great value in the years to come. It's surprising how much a person can forget as the years pass by. Don't ask how I know this. In five, ten, fifteen years, you'll spend many rewarding hours reading thru some of your old pipe and tobacco comments and critiques from yesteryear. It will be a revelation, especially when your preferences can change as time goes by.

Record, comment, critique, review, write down your initial and then analytical impressions, etc. These old journal entries can makes for some good reading especially when it comes to your reviews , and impressions about tobacco blends and mixes that you have tried.

I wish I had kept some good records, especially photos of all the pipes that I once owned, and reviews about tobaccos that I tried. It's too late for me, now.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Spreadsheet for cellar. Columns for what's on hand, what's gone, open, age, blend name, type, etc... nothing fancy but includes a column for 1-10 rating and I'll add notes to the rating cell for things like drying time, flavors, what I liked, etc... but nothing fancy by a long shot. I also have a tab with random notes typed about what I'd like to try based largely on the ramblings here on the forums and various piping articles. To me it seems more "important" to do this now as I'm trying to build my cellar wide and deep. In a few years I expect it'll probably seem less important.

Reactions: ak2000

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I have a notebook for keeping track of what I bought and where. I do make quick notes about a blend and give them a rough rating. I revisit blends and ratings after a few years to check on any changes after aging. I've always kept journals and notebooks going back decades. Takes a few minutes a month.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
If you need a useful tobacco rating form for your log, you might like Dr. Fred Hanna's form, downloadable from the North American Society of Pipe Collectors site (naspc.org), at the bottom of their Home page.
While you're there, if you are not already a member, become one and support The Pipe Collector, their bi-monthly newsletter/magazine, possibly the best pipe enthusiast periodical available.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I am interested in starting a log book of tobaccos I try. I am curious if anyone does this? If so, what terms do you use to describe them? If you use a rating systems, what do you write?

I do this. Mainly to keep track of what I've tried. I just give my thoughts, how dry it smoked best for me and a mark out of 10.

Occasionally I give a 10* to any blend that is just out of this world. Warrior and Revor Plug come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.