Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
I jarred up various tobaccos and noticed when I came to open them they had developed quite a vacuum. I'm assuming a bacterial process is using oxygen and hence reducing internal air volume. Does anyone know any different? Or is able to correct my thinking ?

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I jarred up various tobaccos and noticed when I came to open them they had developed quite a vacuum. I'm assuming a bacterial process is using oxygen and hence reducing internal air volume. Does anyone know any different? Or is able to correct my thinking ?

Yep. Oxygen is consumed until the processes turn anaerobic, and if there is enough tobacco present, the resulting environment is negative pressure vs. atmospheric. Enjoy! That means it’s been aged for more than a short period!

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
All mine have sucked in... ?
I think there are a lot of variables. For many of us the initial vacuum is created by temperature changes from when the jar was packed, which most likely cooled by several degrees. It’s also possible that activity that might cause bulging on a tin actually forces air out past the seal of the lid. The ring is not necessarily situated to prevent that entirely.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think there are a lot of variables. For many of us the initial vacuum is created by temperature changes from when the jar was packed, which most likely cooled by several degrees. It’s also possible that activity that might cause bulging on a tin actually forces air out past the seal of the lid. The ring is not necessarily situated to prevent that entirely.
Yes it actually should be able to let air/gas out but not in I believe

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Thew vacuum develops at some point after tightening the lid. The button at the center of the lid depresses. But then for some reason with some jars it releases with a loud "ping." I used to go to sleep thinking that my jars were singing, and since I was the only person home, that they were singing to me.

I began to posit an alien infestation, and then I began to search for their scat, as it is held universally true that even aliens poop. More later.