PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I use hot tap water, stem in, unless I feel the mortise needs a deep cleaning. If I've just finished a bowl and am near a sink, I'll flush it immediately.

If the pipe is dry before the hot water rinse, after a paper towel and pipe cleaner, I can smoke it immediately with no problem. Usually, though, it goes a day or three or more, as I have lots of others to smoke. Hope this helps.

It certainly does help, as do the other responses in here. Thanks everyone.

So after smoking one of my pipes yesterday, I held the stem under running hot water, and let the water rinse through. I then took a paper towel to the chamber, dried the outside of the pipe, and set it back. Will the water caught between the stem and shank cause any damage to the pipe? Can I safely use this method on vintage pipes?

Will the water caught between the stem and shank cause any damage to the pipe? Can I safely use this method on vintage pipes?
The fit on pipes, is usually so tight that water doesn't get through, but I do have a few pipes that remove the stem every time and wipe it off, because they are bents with a weird fit, definitely not high end pipes. But, I also remove the stems if they have a place for a filter to got o wipe out that inner chamber, like my Savs and a few others.

I use this on ALL of my pipes, my precious Beckers and my beloved antique Hilsons. It actually stopped the swelling of the wood on my Bjarne that was collecting condensation from smoking it in the mortise. The water neutralizes that acids of the tobacco condensation and the process has me wiping off the tenon now, so it is like a brand new pipe, where before I did this, I was afraid that it was going to require a band, and it is the type that just wouldn't look right with a band on it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It certainly does help, as do the other responses in here. Thanks everyone.

So after smoking one of my pipes yesterday, I held the stem under running hot water, and let the water rinse through. I then took a paper towel to the chamber, dried the outside of the pipe, and set it back. Will the water caught between the stem and shank cause any damage to the pipe? Can I safely use this method on vintage pipes?

I run the water into the chamber and out the stem. Sometimes I blow through the stem to clear water and possibly debris. Then I get lazy- I just let them dry, but I do wipe down the stummel. The stem and rim get a thin coating and rub with mineral oil to restore luster and prevent oxidation.

As to vintage pipes, if you smoke them, you are getting- and perhaps collecting- moisture in the mortise area. As Michale points out, you are replacing the tar/acid laced moisture with pure water.

IIRC, Jesse (sablebrush52) does not use hot water on his vintage pipes- and his are very vintage, very cherry. But there really should be no problem.

The stem and rim get a thin coating and rub with mineral oil to restore luster and prevent oxidation.
This works for him, obviously, and others here use this oil on their stems, but I just hit with a polishing cloth a few times with some elbow grease for good measure. But, I am not keen on adding oils. I may be the minority, but it's just a personal preference. I don't get oxidation, so the cloth obviously is working for me.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This works for him, obviously, and others here use this oil on their stems, but I just hit with a polishing cloth a few times with some elbow grease for good measure. But, I am not keen on adding oils. I may be the minority, but it's just a personal preference. I don't get oxidation, so the cloth obviously is working for me.
I do not agree with adding oils to the stummel of a pipe in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.