Tobacco goes out constantly; I relight; Ash comes out black.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Dry, yes. Moist, no. But some does well with a bit of moisture. OTC blends, I'll smoke right out of pouch. Latakia, I like them right before they are dry to touch. Va, as dry as possible before turning to dust is OK.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Having recently come over from the world of CCs myself, I second the advice here. You are probably engaged in the two big sins of pipe tobacco: not drying it enough and packing the bowl too tight.

I set out just enough tobacco for a bowl or two for 15-30 minutes. You want the tobacco to seem almost too dry. It shouldn't clump when you pinch it. I like mutnchop pipers videos and here is a link to his take on loading the pipe:
. Mind you, I had to watch several different videos until I understood that I was trying to pack too much tobacco at the bottom of the bowl - less is more.

Smoking Pipes also have great resources, as does this site, Resources | Smokingpipes Daily Reader - https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/category.cfm/category/Resources

I like this guy and his Ron Swanson vibe! haha.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not only does it sound too wet for your enjoyment but also some tobacco ash is just different then others. I wouldn't worry about what the ash looks like at all. But I would try drying the tobacco and packing less tobacco in the pipe. Dry and loose seems to get the most pleasure. Also like anything else part of getting better at it is just continuing to do it.

Reactions: gervais

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
I'm sure the OP's issue is due to moisture.

But to play devil's advocate -- there is no single truth is there? Especially when the blends and cuts vary so much.

Dry is mostly better (99% of the time), But there is always an exception to the rule. Some tobacco blends just smoke better a little wet. Yeah, they often need relights.

One example is Silem's Commodore or McConnell's Latakia Flake (a regular for me). Dried out it tastes too spicy and monotone. The moisture in it contains a large portion of flavour that isn't detectable when smoked dry.

I'd say a few of the more traditional plugs and flakes from the UK have similar characteristics.

@gervais Wet and tight might work for some things better... but as far as flakes and plugs go, I don't mind them loose and dry for the most part ;-)

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Funny this question is on its second page already. I didnt read the answers first but I wanted to make sure to post to dry it more. Anywone willing to do a post count on how many say to dry it more?

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Go to smokingpipes.com. Look at the Savinelli's that are not filtered. This will give you the best chance at a cool dry smoke if you dry. Also filling the pipe is crucial. I use the 3 step fill method and never light my pipe without first checking the draw. I want a bit of resistance as a pipe that is packed to loose will burn hot and lose flavor. If you pack a little too tight just run a pipe cleaner into the bottom of the bowl, that should loosen it up.

Buy a tin of Capstan Blue flake as that comes at the perfect humidity level. Learn about cube cutting flake tobacco and then see what you get. You should get a good smoke. Having a quality pipe from the get go gives you a baseline as to how a good pipe should smoke. When you do buy other pipes you will screw up like we all did, but the Savinelli will explain why. The Savinelli generally come with a shank dimension of 4.0-4.5. You also shouldn't have to deal with a pipe where the stem whistles which is bad. All of these things I mentioned costs less than a shitty box of Cubans.

Don't start with aromatics that will burn the crap out of your mouth. The Capstan is an all world blend and totally cheap next to cigars.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Would also be interested what you kept your cigars at, i keep mine at 62-65 and like them on the drier side if you keep the. At 70+ you’re probably used to moister tobacco and that doesn’t translate well to pipe tobacco, two completely different ballgames. Yay sports!
^^^^
Exactly this 👍
1) You need to dry out pipe tobacco. Quite the opposite to cigars
2) And pack loosely. You can tamp it down if the fill is over-loose

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The single greatest thing that helped me on my pipe journey was DRYING out my tobacco.

If you think it’s dry, it’s not dry enough.

If you think it’s too dry, but doesn’t turn to dust upon touch it’s not too dry.

Also, if your tobacco is dry your tongue will thank you.
Agreed! I started out with the assumption that pipe tobacco was packed at the optimal moisture level for the best smoking experience, oh how wrong I was. To me, almost every blend smokes not only better when dry but the flavors are much more pronounced. Drying tobacco is by far the best advice I’ve gotten, so simple, yet so effective. There are still a few tobaccos that I like right out of the tin/pouch but 99.9% of my tobacco gets dried before I smoke it.

Reactions: karam

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
In addition to all above excellent suggestion one more tip. When tamping in addition to using the minimum pressure to not just push down but rotate the tamper so you you can move a little bit evenly the burning tobacco and every while move with the tamper the peripheral part of the tobacco (which is burning less) toward the center so it get burned.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
In addition to all above excellent suggestion one more tip. When tamping in addition to using the minimum pressure to not just push down but rotate the tamper so you you can move a little bit evenly the burning tobacco and every while move with the tamper the peripheral part of the tobacco (which is burning less) toward the center so it get burned.
agree