Tobacco goes out constantly; I relight; Ash comes out black.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

borisfruts

Lurker
Sep 29, 2022
Good day everyone!
I come from the world of Cuban cigars, as they used to be quite affordable in my country -- not any more. I have switched to a pipe, and started out with a corn cob as the whole set -- pipe, tobacco, accessories -- cost me about the same as three or four cigars, and I was told that it was a good overall starter pack -- affordable pipe and good tobacco. I use the three pinch method for packing a pipe, but it goes out every two or three minutes, forcing me to tamp it and relight. The tobacco is humidified enough, and I enjoy the taste and temperature of the smoke, but I do not like constantly relighting -- this is fiddly -- and I do not like the fact that when I empty my pipe, the tobacco is 20% white ash, as it should be, 60% black, almost charcoal in texture, and 20% unburnt brown leaves. How do I fix this? Thank you in advance.

P.S. My pipe is the Missouri Meerschaum Tom Sawyer, but I asked the proprietor of the tobacco shop to exchange the mouthpiece for a different one from the same model so that it fit the pipe better and so that it does not fall out. I like to be able to hold my cigar or pipe in my mouth without hands if I need to do something. Thank you all in advance once again. Cheers.

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Your tobacco is likely not dry enough. Try setting out just enough tobacco for a bowl on a napkin to air dry for awhile, then pack loosely and light.
When you tamp, just let the weight of the tamper do the work. This allows unburnt tobacco to make better contact with the burning center. How long to dry? I'm afraid you will have to determine this yourself, because tobaccos and ambient humidity vary so much.
Some relights are to be expected, but pre-drying and proper tamping should reduce them drastically. Happy piping!

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
One thing I was doing without being fully aware: I was breathing back out through the pipe, particularly when clenching. I thought I was just exhaling through my mouth, but as I paid more attention I was definitely partially exhaling through the pipe. This will moisten the tobacco and can cause what you describe.

I’m not saying that is what you are doing, but it is possible.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I've struggled with this. I have had better luck by gravity filling the bowl, doing a charring light around the top, tamping just lightly, and then relighting. I may tamp again later, but as the bowl gets going it stays lit better, which leads me to believe some drying time might help. You can spread it out on a plate for an hour or so before smoking to see what effect it may have.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
You'll also find out what tobaccos (generally) are drier out of the pouch or tin than others, whether age or blend, etc. and how much drying you need for each. I have some year old tobacco I didn't jar that is still in the plastic it came in and is drier now than it was a year ago - lit up one such last night right out of the bag and it was perfect. But mostly, I've found I just need to be more intentional about drying and less spur of the moment. You start to be able to feel what will work and what won't. Packing less tight still a key as well.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
You'll also find out what tobaccos (generally) are drier out of the pouch or tin than others, whether age or blend, etc. and how much drying you need for each. I have some year old tobacco I didn't jar that is still in the plastic it came in and is drier now than it was a year ago - lit up one such last night right out of the bag and it was perfect. But mostly, I've found I just need to be more intentional about drying and less spur of the moment. You start to be able to feel what will work and what won't. Packing less tight still a key as well.
Yes, the good folks here tipped me off about this. I have found newly purchased stuff is sometimes quite moist but some of it smokes well no matter what.

I notice that even loading up a bowl and leaving it sit overnight can help

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Yes, the good folks here tipped me off about this. I have found newly purchased stuff is sometimes quite moist but some of it smokes well no matter what.

I notice that even loading up a bowl and leaving it sit overnight can help
It sure can and works fine for many. I find it more consistently dry if it's set out, but I doubt it makes that much difference, maybe none, lol.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Wet tobacco, packed too tight, and tamping compacting the tobacco further. Good suggestions are given above. Dry the tobacco. Dry it till it feels dry by pinching a thumb full. Try gravity feed like suggestion meaning, don't push down on the tobacco. Just put it in the chamber to top and lightly even it out. Tamp only to push down the ashes lightly, but enough for the ember to touch the tobacco below.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Relights are a part of the game, especially if you are getting into flakes and what not. I am getting a little better as time goes on with the amount of relights required, but I still struggle greatly when the bowl is at the last 3rd. I think I get too much moisture buildup at the bottom and it saturates the tobacco. Pipes are definately finicky when compared to any other form of smoking. Part of the ritual, at least mine.

These guys who are claiming “Bowl smoked right down to the bottom leaving a fine white ash using one single match”…. Fuuuuuck off. I call Bullshit
😂

Markem

Might Stick Around
Aug 4, 2022
Beaverton, OR
Having recently come over from the world of CCs myself, I second the advice here. You are probably engaged in the two big sins of pipe tobacco: not drying it enough and packing the bowl too tight.

I set out just enough tobacco for a bowl or two for 15-30 minutes. You want the tobacco to seem almost too dry. It shouldn't clump when you pinch it. I like mutnchop pipers videos and here is a link to his take on loading the pipe:
. Mind you, I had to watch several different videos until I understood that I was trying to pack too much tobacco at the bottom of the bowl - less is more.

Smoking Pipes also have great resources, as does this site, Resources | Smokingpipes Daily Reader - https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/category.cfm/category/Resources

Reactions: coys

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Would also be interested what you kept your cigars at, i keep mine at 62-65 and like them on the drier side if you keep the. At 70+ you’re probably used to moister tobacco and that doesn’t translate well to pipe tobacco, two completely different ballgames. Yay sports!

• Love
Reactions: OzPiper

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The single greatest thing that helped me on my pipe journey was DRYING out my tobacco.

If you think it’s dry, it’s not dry enough.

If you think it’s too dry, but doesn’t turn to dust upon touch it’s not too dry.

Also, if your tobacco is dry your tongue will thank you.
I dry my tobacco so much, that the last top portion of the bowl, I crush into dust as kindling to get it going. Crunchy dry is my favorite. Then when I tamp, I spin the tamper, which creates a sort of flour consistency of the ash. Helps keep it going. PXL_20220929_165602485.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I dry my tobacco so much, that the last top portion of the bowl, I crush into dust as kindling to get it going. Crunchy dry is my favorite. Then when I tamp, I spin the tamper, which creates a sort of flour consistency of the ash. Helps keep it going. View attachment 171837

BTW, I did not listen to forum members about drying tobacco. I enjoyed tongue bite. I enjoyed struggling to keep my pipe lit. I enjoy being wildly frustrated while attempting to smoke my pipes.

Then I watched a Jason Dagner video about this. Still unconvinced I gave it a try. Hmm. Not sure.

Then I was digging through and old gear bag and found a dried up sample of some kind of unlabeled VA flake.

Took the chance. Loaded the “desicated” remains. Lit and enjoyed the easiest smoke ever.

Truly the best advice.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
BTW, I did not listen to forum members about drying tobacco. I enjoyed tongue bite. I enjoyed struggling to keep my pipe lit. I enjoy being wildly frustrated while attempting to smoke my pipes.

Then I watched a Jason Dagner video about this. Still unconvinced I gave it a try. Hmm. Not sure.

Then I was digging through and old gear bag and found a dried up sample of some kind of unlabeled VA flake.

Took the chance. Loaded the “desicated” remains. Lit and enjoyed the easiest smoke ever.

Truly the best advice.
And all the BS about more flavor with moist tobacco.... 🙄

And all the BS about more flavor with moist tobacco.... 🙄
Shhhhh... you're giving away the secret to getting a supreme fine white ash smoke. We are supposed to just keep telling neophytes that it is ok for their pipes to go out, it's ok to relight, and that there is no such thing as fine white ash. Sort of like we tell "some" students... no no no, there's absolutely nothing wrong with riding the short bus. And, there isn't. puffy