PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
Is there one type of tobacco or blend that is better than others for breaking in a new uncoated bowl? I have a burley blend, an english blend, a VaPer and an Aro.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I like the way Va and Vaper flakes create a nice hard cake very quickly in my new pipes. I believe you should smoke what you like to break in a pipe and not something just for the sake of building cake.

Jul 15, 2011
I like the way Va and Vaper flakes create a nice hard cake very quickly in my new pipes
Harris might be on to something here. I recently bought two new Boswell pipes and have heard that they take a long time to break in, but after about 10 or so bowls of some VA flake in both of them they are brilliant smokers. A nice non aromatic Burley blend like 5 Brothers or MacBaren Golden Extra also will build a nice sturdy cake, but Harris' other point of smoking what you like to smoke in a pipe is very well said too. I generally gauge which new pipes are going to be used for what tobaccos and if it doesnt work out and I change my mind later, I can always give the shank and stem a swab with alcohol and start over before you get too many bowls in.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I have to agree with Harris, here: "I believe you should smoke what you like to break in a pipe and not something just for the sake of building cake."
I think cake is one of those things some beginning pipe smokers really worry about. (I was going to say "worry about too much," but I don't think we should be thinking about it at all until it's time to ream.)
It'll happen naturally as you enjoy your pipe. Just smoke what you're in the mood for and let nature take its course.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
I still smoke a few pipes from my early days and I didn't know, or care, a thing about building cake and they are still fabulous smokers. the fact that you are conscious to building a good cake is certainly a good thing however. I do agree that burley seems like it may be your best bet, but if that is not your cup-of-tea, I think smoking something you prefer will be more pleasurable and will help you in smoking complete bowls, which is important.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I suggested burley because the OP gave us a list of 4 different types of blends, one of which was burley so I assume he likes it.
There may also be a process of determining what kind of tobacco smokes best in the pipe afterwards. We all know some pipes will smoke one sort of blend better than another. :puffy:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Good advice Rothnh.
Unless you are going to dedicate a pipe to a particular blend or type of blend.

Smoke what you want.

Patience is the key... the cake will develop in its own good time.

:puffy:

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
AS others have said, smoke what you like. However, I don't smoke aromatics and wouldn't recommend breaking in a pipe with them, but that's my opinion.
As others have said; it takes time. Have patience and enjoy the process.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I started off breaking in new pipes with PA because that is what I read. Then I realized, wait, PA is awful tobacco! Then I switched to non-chemical burley blends. Then I just switched to whatever I liked to smoke and, after the first few nasty bowls, was much happier. Now I'll smoke CH the first 2-3 bowls and then switch to whatever I like.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Just go ahead and smoke the tobacco that you (hopefully) will dedicate to this pipe. That is my advice.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm breaking in 2 pipes right now with PA cause I happen to like it (as well as CH). Seems to be working fine so far, the cake is already building.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I had always heard that burley was the best to break in a new pipe with, and I often have/do. But upon some advice from a friend, I tried breaking in a brand new one with the bowl coating smoking nothing but VaPers (which I also really like) and in just about 10 bowls I already had a nice even cake; I actually noticed it starting after onlt 3 or 4 though. Personally, I wouldn't use an aromatic unless that is what I planned to smoke in it; I made this mistake with a cherry OTC once and that was enough for me! :roll:

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not confused at all. This is all great advice and I appreciate everyone giving their opinion. The overall impression that I get is that I can smoke whatever I want for the breakin as long as I make sure I don't overheat the bowl and to make sure I smoke it to the bottom at an even rate. I have a good burley from Milan that I will probably start this new pipe off with. I don't love the aro's so I will leave that to fishing and a MM cob. In my limited experience, I think I like English blends best, so after the new pipe looks ready to go I will switch to that (965) and see how it goes. Thanks again!

henrymars

Lurker
Mar 13, 2013
I usually break a pipe in with whatever I am going to smoke in it. Burly will usually cake faster ... but faster isn't always better. I don't think using honey or other agent to speed things up is a good idea either. Moisten the bowl with a drop or two of water pack the pipe 1/3 of the way etc. and smoke slowly. That is what works for me anyway.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have a follow-up question. Is it necessary to stick with one blend throughout the break-in process or can I switch from burley to english to vaper if I feel like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.