PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Toobfreak, I do not like Epiphany. It's kinda close but not close enough.
I smoked the original Revelation back in the late 70's-80s or so.
But I have heard good things about Revelation MATCH. I'll have to try it on. Thanks
I just saw an older large tin of Revelation for sale on ebay. It had the key attached to peel off the lid. There was also the small pocket sized tin or Revelation with the flip off red top.
Revelation was a blend thatconvinced me that smoking a pipe was right up my alley. I had smoked other OTC's like CH, SWR etc but I just smoked them to smoke something...and didn't really enjoy them. There was no wow factor. And then I found Revelation. And I had no idea Einstein was smoking it either. Although I'm much more of a Tesla fan.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I'll tell you a sad tale of my first tobacco love. It was a brief affair followed by years of loss and yearning.
Like many people, when I was a new pipe smoker I smoked aromatics. One day, I picked up an aromatic blend at a local B&M. They called it Black Dane or something similar, knowing what I know now it was likely a bulk blend that they renamed for their shelves. The tobacco was black, rich, and full of vanilla flavor. It was the best thing I'd ever smoked! The smoke was sweet and the vanilla tin note actually came through in the taste. I bought a few more 2oz bags and enjoyed each one. Then I guess I turned my back on it and started trying tinned tobaccos and exploring the larger world of the online tobacconists. I smoked a lot of things I liked but then one day I realized I missed the sweet vanilla flavor of Black Dane. I swung by the same B&M and picked a 2oz bag. I filled up a pipe and fired it up ready for that remembered sweetness. What I found was terrible. Wet, goopy, and not sweet at all. Yuck! I guess my tastes had changed or developed and I couldn't stand that which I once loved. Occasionally, I'll pick up a vanilla flavored aromatic just to try it and I never manage to make my way through it.
I guess the story does have a happy ending though. Thanks to kind fellow piper I got to try some well aged Stokkebye bulls eye flake. The first time I smoked that it truly was a revelation. I finally understood how much tobacco could improve with age. My love for that tobacco both fresh and aged continues to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.