PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

leonidas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2013
God, this brings back memories of when I was a child and living in the Carolinas some 65-70 years ago. Man, the aromas!!
.....same as the aromas of sherry in jerez de la frontera when i was a kid.......you'd walk along the tree lined streets where the wine bodegas (wineries) were and smell the wines.....simply heavenly......now unfortunately, they are mostly gone and apartment buildings have taken their places....quite sad...

Reactions: JOHN72 and kcghost

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
The scene in front of my house. We had a dry spell when first planted but has rained recently and the plants are finally taking off. Took a drive to Nash county to buy a truck and there are a lot of tobacco fields this year. I'll post more as they grow finally when they come out of curing. View attachment 83382

It looks like there's a bit more tobacco being planted in northern Tennessee this year than seen in recent years. I need to ask my buddy in kentucky if it's the same story up there.

Reactions: FurCoat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That tobacco smell was strong in cities like Winston-Salem and Durham where the cigarette plants were. You almost didn't need to buy the tobacco products, just inhale. The Duke family made their fortune in tobacco and founded Duke University with a portion of it. For more than a century, tobacco was truly king.

Reactions: JOHN72 and FurCoat

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
That tobacco smell was strong in cities like Winston-Salem and Durham where the cigarette plants were. You almost didn't need to buy the tobacco products, just inhale. The Duke family made their fortune in tobacco and founded Duke University with a portion of it. For more than a century, tobacco was truly king.
I remember that.

Reactions: JOHN72

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Curing barns? For a flue cured tobacco?
Interesting. Have you seen these flue curing barns? I was under the understanding that most used those large industrial kilns that can precisely flue cure and color cure. I would love to see pictures of these barns. I wonder what heat sources they are using. Damn, I wish I could go visit also. I have so many questions.
I'm willing to bet the kilns are kept in barns.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Hard to tell from the pictures, but the leaves have turned a pale yellow. Priming has begun and I figure the fields around my house will be primed this week. I saw some other fields primed two weeks ago which seems early. I have to say the farmer of these fields is patient and is allowing these plants to get good and ripe.20210802_185038.jpg20210802_185002.jpg

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
North Tennessee Burley. There was an identical field behind me. Not only that, but they had just brought a trailer of the sticks for hanging the tobacco in the dark fire houses. The sticks (hickory) had been used before and you could smell them across the field. A little slice of heaven in the heat today.
IMG_20210811_095719351.jpg

Reactions: username