PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
So I might be asking for too much here, but is there a place to rate your experience with different tobaccos and maybe be able to see data on what your preferences are? Maybe it could even recommend blends by what you like and how others rate it?

Am I just wishing? I know all the old timers are just rolling their eyes at the thought of this, but there are a LOT of different tobaccos out there and it would be nice to have something to help keep track on what I've tried besides a little notebook.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago

Melvin has a lot of Grape. We all know where to go when the bomb drops.

Viewing Melvinscam's Tobacco Cellar

Viewing Summary at a glance: Click for Open or Cellared or Finished containers or WishList
Cellar Summary - 0 open containers, 10800 cellared containers holding 1215 lbs
Open Containers - 0 containers are open.
Cellared Containers Summary - 10800 containers are cellared holding 1215 lbs (see details)
QtyBrandBlend Name TypeTot.WeightContainersAvg.AgeOldest
10800Lane LimitedCaptain Black Grape Click for details Captain Black Grape is the latest entry from the largest-selling brand of pipe tobacco in the US. Using the same blend of white burley, bright Virginia and black cavendish as Captain Black Regular, Captain Black Grape is finished with a lively, sweet note of grape for a room-pleasing aroma, but a subtly zesty flavor. We expect this blend to be one of their most popular yet. Give it a try today! Aro, Bur, Cav, Va1214 lbs 15.999999996 oz108001 yr 1 mo1 yr 1 mo

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Its pretty dorky but I have built an excel spreadsheet I use to keep track of my smokes, impressions of various tobacco as well as my cellar. The type, date, and quantity are all recorded. It's nice to immediately know how much tobacco and what types your have cellared away.

I also really like keeping my thoughts on various blends organized. I might see a sale on a particular tobacco and think it looks interesting but if I have smoked it then I can reference my impressions of it and make a more informed decision as to whether/how much I should buy. Its a nice system for me.

I lost all trust in Apps for tobacco. I used the original Pipe Tool for a few years, as I got my cellar up over the 200 lbs threshold, keeping track of what I smoked, how often, and my own reviews to keep what I like best in stock. Then a few years ago the designer crapped out and stopped updating it. Then one day, POW, it just stopped working, locking up all of my info. So, now I merely have a guesstimate, and I just have to look at the stacks of boxes and say, more than twice as much as I had a few years ago, so somewhere over 400lbs. And, the very idea of inventorying that mess is not going to happen. Heck, I may have 500 lbs, I just don't know for sure any more.

So, no more relying on some techie pipe smoker keeping an app going. And, I am not all that thrilled about putting it all online for prying eyes to see, attracting tobacco nazis of thieves.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
For Android, Windows, Linux, and Mac (but not iOS yet) there’s the Memento Database app. It’s very customizable and data can be exported to a Google Sheets spreadsheet. You can import from Google Sheets, too, which enabled me to transition from my manual spreadsheet inventory to Memento. There are publicly available templates which define the database. I loaded Pipe Tobacco Cellar v1.12, then modified it to fit my preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.