PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
After reading the article on the main site about Tobacco and Tea, I fixed myself a tall mug of Earl Grey and a bowl of C&D Constellation. It's a good pair so far. I have lots of teas and lots of tobaccos, and I love exploring combos. So what does everyone like?!

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
I also think tobacco and tea go hand in hand. Especially a Latakia like FMOTB or Larry's Blend have been perfect with English breakfast tea.
Hey Austinxpipe can you post a link to the article?

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Yup!
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/drink-accompaniments/tea/a-brief-history-of-two-leaves-tea-tobacco/

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I find that good quality greens and Darjeelings go with just about any pipe tobacco. Tea in general is a really good thing to couple with smoking. Lots of healthy stuff in it and some of the compounds in tea help moderate nicotine metabolism.
Good Assams/Irish Breakfast Teas work well with English blends but may prevent you tasting some of the high notes in Virginias. But burleys or Lats work well with it.

Jul 15, 2011
Some nice cold sweet tea and a burley blend on a hot summer day. Other than that, I occasionally enjoy a nice hot cup of Breakfast Tea with an aromatic, but that usually doesnt happen too often.

willwoodbine

Lurker
Nov 30, 2012
For those latakia fans out there try a cup of Lapsang Souchong. I wouldnt pair the two though...unless you like living in a chimney.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My wife has a bad case of Tea Acquisition Disorder, which I suspect is one reason why she's indulging my curiosity about pipe smoking...
Lapsang Soucham is a current favorite, but we're also fans of chai blends and rooibos teas, along with standards like Earl Grey and English Breakfast. We found a vendor from the Seattle area that does straight teas as well as herbal blends - their "Leprechaun" (Lapsang Soucham + Peppermint) is quite tasty.
Haven't yet tried tea in combination with a smoke - I'm still a rank beginner with a single pipe and one bag of tobacco. This will change shortly. :lol: Yes, I've got a second pipe on order from one of the site sponsors... and so it begins.

bronxbill

Lurker
Dec 10, 2012
I usually drink either green tea or Earl Gray; I find both go well with any blend I am smoking.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
My wife has a bad case of Tea Acquisition Disorder, which I suspect is one reason why she's indulging my curiosity about pipe smoking...
Haha, never a bad thing :-D
Good Assams/Irish Breakfast Teas work well with English blends but may prevent you tasting some of the high notes in Virginias. But burleys or Lats work well with it.
Love stuff like this. I'm fascinated by how flavors affect each other.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
For those latakia fans out there try a cup of Lapsang Souchong. I wouldnt pair the two though...unless you like living in a chimney.
Normally if I'm smoking and drinking tea, that means it is that very combination....and it is excellent!

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I bet lapsang souchong tea with any latakia english blend would be quite nice - Especially on a cool autumn morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.