PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
So I'm waiting on a delayed order from Pipes and Cigars (absolute last time I order from there...) and there's a chance it may not even reach me prior to me going on a trip. The order is a mixture of tins, pouches, and bulk. If it gets left in my metal mailbox to bake in the triple-digit Mojave Desert heat for a week or more, is there any danger of these packaged tobaccos losing flavor or moisture?

Furthermore, are there any temperature rules for longer-term storage of mason jarred tobacco?
I guess I’m the luckiest guy around cause P&C hasn’t goofed anything up on my orders. But they were a lot better company before the merger or sellout or whatever. Seemed more like a family then

Reactions: GothPiper

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
Tobbacopipes.com is where I buy from and i absolutely love them. Bought a Molina Peppino the the stem was too tight, smoked 3 bowls from it, freezer to see if it would loosen... they replaced it no issues. I actually sent it to their other address, the guy looked up my tracking number and sent out the replacement before they even received my package. Heat? I am not refined enough to notice differences but I probably break all the rules. I have a camper by the shore. I have a huge bag "my purse " in my wife's words. In it is all my pipes and 30ish tobacco varieties, all I own. Tins and bulk plastic bags. East coast US 90 something degrees, heavy humidity. My car will sit on a parking garage for 16hrs before I drive to beach at night. Then it sits next to me everywhere I go and I am outside till bedtime. I haven't noticed a real difference, probably inhaling some plastic toxins but I like to constantly smoke different types so the trade off for now is worth it. From day one to a month or 2 of doing this per tobacco, I am not seeing major changes even with the humidity of the tobacco. I smoke A LOT during a day, so everything is being opened to pack a bowl at least 1 x in a 2-day period. I haven't cellered anything yet so I would bet good money that what I am doing isn't good for longterm cellaring.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
Here's my purse:)

Attachments

• 20210716_143400.jpg
    20210716_143400.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210716_143338.jpg
    20210716_143338.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 4

ncshawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I don't think you'd loose flavor. Might gain some plastic flavor if it's in a bag. Might loose some moisture which can be remedied. Some people like stoving tobaccos so you might be in for a treat.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
There’s lots of humidity in the air on hot days, especially near water. You probably can’t dry out tobacco right now unless it’s inside with A/C pulling moisture out of the air.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
I can't say much about desert conditions but here in FL I have another "tray" of ball jars filled with PS Luxury Bullseye Flake in the trunk of my car (90% parked in full sun) for July, Aug, and Sept. in Oct it'll be moved into the cellar (closet). I check lids every couple weeks for tightness. Is it bad/good/or time wasted I don't know but hope it kick starts aging a little and helps the lid seal. As was said I think Mr. Pease commented about this at some point during one of his many discussions on aging. Boxes of bulk in plastic bags I'd avoid extended time stored/'stoved' like that, but can't believe a week or two would affect much.

Reactions: jpmcwjr