PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Ok, I will admit to being the tiniest bit OCD. the wife says it’s weird to have the drawers of your tool box shadowed for each tool...
Much like when I started tasting whiskeys, I’m betting it will take a while to overcome the smoke (like the alcohol fumes) and get to the point where I can distinguish all the flavors in the tobacco.
With that in mind, should I reserve certain pipes for certain tobacco’s? I don’t want to extend this period of time by throwing a barrage at my senses with each bowl. I’m thinking that I should at least reserve certain pipes for aromatics versus non-aromatics, but how far would you suggest taking that? I have plenty of pipes so that isn’t an issue, but I’m not sure having to label each pipe for which specific brand tobacco I smoked with it is exactly “relaxing”.
Labels aren’t that big an issue, but will the tar of a cherry cavendish in the pipe affect the smoking flavor of a black cavendish?
How much will the residue of one tobacco affect the next that is smoked in the same pipe?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
They call that designating pipes. People have a wide range of doing or not doing this at all. I would only do it if I smoked Lakeland aromatic blends, which are notorious for leaving a residue flavor for years. Some enjoy designating pipes for genre -- English Latakia blends, Virginia/Perique, etc. If you have a lot of pipes in rotation, cleaning them and resting them for a long time after each smoke, there may be less point in designating a great deal. It also depends on your sense of taste. Avoiding ghosts you can't taste seems futile. A second question is, how do you want to relate to your OCD. Will designating pipes provide a pleasing expression of this trait, or would it be better to have pipe smoking be a liberated zone where you don't do that? If you can't resist, I guess I'd do it with as few categories as you can and then see where it goes.

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
They call that designating pipes. People have a wide range of doing or not doing this at all. I would only do it if I smoked Lakeland aromatic blends, which are notorious for leaving a residue flavor for years. Some enjoy designating pipes for genre -- English Latakia blends, Virginia/Perique, etc. If you have a lot of pipes in rotation, cleaning them and resting them for a long time after each smoke, there may be less point in designating a great deal. It also depends on your sense of taste. Avoiding ghosts you can't taste seems futile. A second question is, how do you want to relate to your OCD. Will designating pipes provide a pleasing expression of this trait, or would it be better to have pipe smoking be a liberated zone where you don't do that? If you can't resist, I guess I'd do it with as few categories as you can and then see where it goes.
Liberation, definitely liberation. I have enough stuff weighing me down. You answered the question as I wasn’t sure how much ghosting would happen. The tobacco smells so darn good in the bag, I wanted to make sure I didn’t have too much carry over in the bowls to where it was all good, just not distinct.
Thanks

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don’t smoke Latakia but I have aro and non aro pipes.
If I smoked latakia I’d have pipes for that.

If you want to taste straight pure Va. I wouldn’t smoke an aro from that pipe. I mean I still would but not expecting a pure flavor.

Now if you don’t care you can mix all of them.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Designating pipes its not the point. Rather, the consummate pipe purist, you know, the kind that wears a smoking jacket even when not smoking and in subzero temperatures, who apes Sherlock with a gourd calabash and has a chair reserved for him at the B&M, never smokers a pipe more than once.

He throws them out.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Not sensitive enough for me to dedicate my pipes to specific types of pipes. However, I do tend to use wider bore pipes for English/Balkan or more complex Va. And narrow and relatively tall chambered pipes for most Va. and flakes. But they are not designated. I tend to grab what feels right at the moment most of the time out of some sort of rotation I don't fully understand.

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Designating pipes its not the point. Rather, the consummate pipe purist, you know, the kind that wears a smoking jacket even when not smoking and in subzero temperatures, who apes Sherlock with a gourd calabash and has a chair reserved for him at the B&M, never smokers a pipe more than once.

He throws them out.
Perhaps when I cash in that winning lottery ticket in the truck, I can be a purist. I, however, will be a benevolent smoking jacket. I will simply toss them towards my man servant... he can do as he pleases with it. I will not even call it a benefit for I will simply not remember the thing...

Reactions: BROBS

tech49

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2020
Hamburg Twp, MI
I have one pipe that is used to smoke strong Lakelands, but I like smoking Carter Hall, or almost anything in it afterwards to take advantage of the lingering rose geranium flavor.

I have a cob that's used for a blend I make with Sutliff's Frosty Mint to approximate a Drew Estate Java Mint cigar, but I smoke other stuff in it to.

Everything else is smoked in whatever pipe I feel like holding at the time.

So, I don't really designate one type to a pipe. Maybe it's more like having a favorite pipe for the more outlandish tobaccos.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I have one pipe that is used to smoke strong Lakelands, but I like smoking Carter Hall, or almost anything in it afterwards to take advantage of the lingering rose geranium flavor.

Hah I do the same, only with Amphora!

Now on topic, I have gravitated a few pipes to specific blend types: Lakelands, Latakia, VaPer. The first two because they are strong enough to come through subsequent pipes, and the last because it can be delicate enough to be influenced by previous pipes.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have pipes that are dedicated to specific blends, pipes that are dedicated to specific genres, and pipes that I smoke just about anything in.

If a particular pipe sits around long enough unsmoked, I don’t notice much of a scent at all.

You can pick up a mild “ghost” of a previous tobacco after a pipe has sat unsmoked for a long time when you fire up a different blend, but after a few bowls I don’t really notice it anymore.

Finally, I really don’t think that the oils in tobacco penetrate deeply into the briar enough to permanently “ghost” a pipe... Removing the cake back to bare wood gets rid of most of that, and a thorough cleaning of the mortise and airway. And as I mentioned over time the residual oils will evaporate or burn off.

I don’t get too hung up on what I smoke in what pipe, though. And I have some pipes that I haven’t smoked in years. If decide to grab one of those I just pick out a blend and start smoking it.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Much like many of the other forum members, I dedicate my pipes as follows:

- Latakia pipes
- Virginia pipes
- Aromatic pipes

I find aros too goopy for briar, so I smoke them in cobs. I smoke burley blends in cobs as well. I'll just smoke whatever aro or burley blend in any cob at any time. Sometimes, if I've smoked a bunch of aro bowls in one cob, then smoke a burley blend, I'll taste a strong ghost of the aromatic. However, it goes away after a few bowls.

I also smoke Va/Per blends in my Virginia pipes and have not had any real issues with ghosting. I'll sometimes get a residual perique flavor when smoking a straight virginia, but it's just a hint, at most, and again, the ghost will disappear after smoking a few bowls of non-perique blends.

If I smoked Lakelands, however, I would probably have pipes dedicated to those as well.

I've found no reason at all to break up my pipes in any further sub-categorizations than those above, but if my experience indicated that there was a good reason to be more specific in my pipe / baccy dedication, then I would.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Probably I don't have particularly sensitive taste buds, though I can certainly make distinctions in adding spice to foods, etc. However, I have never gotten after tastes of other blends, and I smoke a variety. That would include English blends with and without Latakia, burley and burley blends, Virginia and Va/Pers, aromatics of various kinds that I find tobacco forward (not over flavored with non-tobacco flavorings). I've never lit up a blend and thought, oh damn, I'm getting some Latakia here ... or anisette flavoring, or whatever. I count myself lucky. If I did, I'm sure I'd counteract it by designating pipes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Ok, I will admit to being the tiniest bit OCD. the wife says it’s weird to have the drawers of your tool box shadowed for each tool...
Much like when I started tasting whiskeys, I’m betting it will take a while to overcome the smoke (like the alcohol fumes) and get to the point where I can distinguish all the flavors in the tobacco.
With that in mind, should I reserve certain pipes for certain tobacco’s? I don’t want to extend this period of time by throwing a barrage at my senses with each bowl. I’m thinking that I should at least reserve certain pipes for aromatics versus non-aromatics, but how far would you suggest taking that? I have plenty of pipes so that isn’t an issue, but I’m not sure having to label each pipe for which specific brand tobacco I smoked with it is exactly “relaxing”.
Labels aren’t that big an issue, but will the tar of a cherry cavendish in the pipe affect the smoking flavor of a black cavendish?
How much will the residue of one tobacco affect the next that is smoked in the same pipe?
Thanks
normally I'd say there really isn't a point to dedicating pipes to types of tobacco. However from what you've said about yourself I really think you'll enjoy it more that way. Oh and you want to let the pipe rest so it's not still wet from the last smoke. Helps it not get nasty.

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
You need to tell your wife that all the serious smokers out there have a pipe for every blend and have cellars overflowing with blends. In order for you to be a serious smoker, you have to start accumulating more blends and hence more pipes.puffy

Trust me, my logic is flawless on this.
I have used similar logic in the past. oddly, she doesn't believe i know what humor is... And that glare can melt glass? Last time i marry an accountant.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I do the same as Lawdog. However, starting with a new Pipe, I’ll break in with Prince Albert or Carter Hall. Then try a couple favorite VA blends. If the pipe doesn’t hit the high notes, I’ll go to oriental blends I like. Then to Balkans. Aros & burleys are mostly reserved for cobs.

Reactions: Wifesbain

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I think I only have 1 dedicated pipe. A cob for Sillem’s Black. Everything else is English based in most of my pipes. Now, starting to have a few just for Virginia based.

Reactions: Wifesbain