PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dworkin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Folks,

I hope this isn't too controvertial, but I like to collect tobacciana without health warnings, or at least without the gruesome medical images on products here in the UK.

There are plenty of vintage tobacco tins around but there are also new pipe tobacco tins and cigar tubes/boxes free of health warnings if they come direct from the country of origin. With some of these products the importer's health warnings are just stuck on the tin/tube/packet and can be carefully removed. A clean with some lighter fluid and the offending stickers are gone. I am assuming that as long as these items are our own property and not for resale, there is no problem with doing this.

IMHO there is nothing nicer than a smokers cabinet full of warning free products, to be enjoyed in the privacy of our own home. Anyone else doing this?

D.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dworkin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2020
:)
litup,

That's a beautiful piece of artwork.

Folks,

Agreed about contents over packaging. I got the package habit from collecting vintage toys, but would never buy baccy just for the tin. I'm the same with booze, having the boxes for all my whisky/bourbon bottles (if they came with them) but wouldn't buy bourbon just for the bottle/packet.

My tobacconist says he does a brisk trade in aftermarket tins and cigar boxes, so I guess the main thing is dumping the unwanted stuff.

D.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario

Folks,

I hope this isn't too controvertial, but I like to collect tobacciana without health warnings, or at least without the gruesome medical images on products here in the UK.

There are plenty of vintage tobacco tins around but there are also new pipe tobacco tins and cigar tubes/boxes free of health warnings if they come direct from the country of origin. With some of these products the importer's health warnings are just stuck on the tin/tube/packet and can be carefully removed. A clean with some lighter fluid and the offending stickers are gone. I am assuming that as long as these items are our own property and not for resale, there is no problem with doing this.

IMHO there is nothing nicer than a smokers cabinet full of warning free products, to be enjoyed in the privacy of our own home. Anyone else doing this?

I cover mine up because it bugs me too, lol. Mind you I don't have alot of tins (buy most of my stuff in bulk) so it's not alot of time out of my day ?4FE844E0-A13F-4CA6-89DC-25FD414FF03A.jpeg

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
I cover mine up because it bugs me too, lol. Mind you I don't have alot of tins (buy most of my stuff in bulk) so it's not alot of time out of my day ?View attachment 28294
Simple solution to the eye sore imagery. If you are a match user, consider using the adhesive striker material for this purpose. I bought a sheet to stick to a lid of a box I use in my truck. Gives me a larger target than the small strip on the side of the box the matches come in.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
Some of them have entertainment value! While I do not doubt some of the claims, and seriously worry about health implications sometimes: if you read all the stickers on German packaging (currently order almost exclusively from Germany) you will come away thinking that even looking at tobacco will get you instant cases of everything from in-grown toenails to blindness. Btw for most tins I have,those warnings are part of the label itself (not an additional sticker that you could remove). Exceptions only for those tins that come in an additional cardboard thing with the warning label on it.

Reactions: logs

Dworkin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2020
hi gervais,

Haha! If that's black Gorilla tape I used to do the same thing. Fortunately Peterson's range of tins have stuck on paper labels and its easy enough to slice a line with a craft knife and peel off the bottom half.

'Country' cigarillos have just the health warnings stuck on over a printed tin, so this can be completely removed with care and a few dabs of lighter fluid. Some of the smaller cigar tubes are warning free so that's a real find.

If anyone thinks this is obsessive, you should see the medical images covering two thirds of our tins and packets. Its enough to make you take up smoking!

D.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I jar the tobacco once the tin has been opened, but was surprised that the following tins received recently did not have large warnings on the labels:
  • Captain Earle's Stimulus Package
  • Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday
  • GLP Stonehenge Flake
  • Hearth & Home Cerberus
  • John Cotton's Smyrna
  • Norman Rockwell Portrait
  • Peterson Elizabethan Mixture
  • Peterson My Mixture 965
  • Presbyterian Mixture
  • Robert Lewis Orcilla Mixture
  • Russ Oulluette Perique Blend P-37
  • Solani Tropical Mango Flake
  • Two Friends Heritage
Please note that this may have changed as I have received tins from the same manufacturers with labels that DO contain large warnings. At first I thought that maybe some store labels (e.g., Pipes and Cigars) didn't need to have them, but I have received tins of H&H Blackhouse and RO Firestorm WITH the warnings as well as tins of GLP Gaslight and Two Friends Heritage with warnings. I guess maybe the other tins without large warnings may have been older stock? Some manufacturers (e.g., Dan Tobacco, Robert Lewis) leave half of the front label open for the warning label to be applied in the local language, but isn't. It's not clear if that's the responsibility of the importer, seller, or if there is an exemption for online sales when the tin never hit a shelf. Then there are the old Dunhill blends recently re-released by Peterson and none of them have the large front warning labels.I always thought that the warnings were REQUIRED, but it's clear that the rules aren't clear and that may be possible exceptions for the large front warnings.

Reactions: litup
Jun 9, 2018
England

Folks,

I'm with you mate, I hate those awful health warnings, they ruin what is otherwise some beautiful tin art.
Not pipe tobacco but I have some cigarette packets that are free of the ghastly pictures. Here's a Dunhill and a Benson & Hedges packet I own. They have the written warning but no pictures. Today it'd be olive green with a photo of a diseased lung or whatever.

IMG_20200501_110758.jpg

Here's what all pipe tobacco pouches/tins are gonna look like soon (in the UK anyway).

Mick Mcquaid ☹️

240095-mick-mcquaid-plain.jpg

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Here's what all pipe tobacco pouches/tins are gonna look like soon (in the UK anyway).

Mick Mcquaid ☹

View attachment 28382
Cigarette packs in the USA will have graphic warning labels added in June 2021, so it's only a matter of time until they will also be required on pipe tobacco.

Article - Cigarette packs and ads to include graphic warnings starting next year, FDA says
Beginning on June 18, 2021, the new cigarette health warnings will be required on cigarette packages and in advertisements, occupying the top 50% of the area on the front and back panels of packages and at least 20% of the area at the top of cigarette ads, according to the FDA.

The 11 finalized cigarette health warnings represent the most significant change to cigarette labels in more than 35 years and will considerably increase public awareness of lesser-known, but serious negative health consequences of cigarette smoking," Mitch Zeller, director of the FDA's Center for Tobacco Products, said in a news release on Tuesday.

• Sad
Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
"Smoking reduces fertility." rotf rotf rotf rotf rotf

My wife and I were smokers for over 10 years prior to meeting. We've got 3 children. I've got a brother and sister, and we came from smoking parents.

My old man smoked 4 packs a day, for over 40 years, and had five kids. They’ll blame any health problem at all on smoking.

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers
Status
Not open for further replies.