To fill or not to fill? That’s the question.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
@Brendan it should smoke nice, as said before maybe the preformed stem is a surprise. The Scottish Mixture is my daily choice because I can’t get not a lot of nice tobaccos here in South Africa. Ok there is a place with certain Peterson range, but all are Latakias.

The Davidoff is mild with the Whiskey far enough in the background. Almost no tongue bite.

When I am going back to northern hemisphere I will smoke again my certain Perique cones, some Virginias, like Hamborger Veermaster and all the other really excellent tobaccos I can’t get here.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
And here’s the pipe, stained with dark brown leather stain. I filled up the holes as @didimauw described. I just wanted to learn something new to me in pipe making. Fillings with dust and super glue is difficult to control in its hues it turns out dark brown in this case. I stained it twice to achieve what I had in mind. Now it’s one of my darkest pipes ever. But taking a closer look in sunlight there’s still a lot going on. Besides the wood showing off some decent holes it’s a nice peace of ebauchon.

The finish on the stummel is just polishing by hand with a last coat of furniture wax (do not have my workshop as I do in the northern hemisphere with buffing wheel compounds and carnauba.

The stem is sanded with grid from 400 upwards to 2000 and finished with nail polishing accessories and a last buff with liquid brass polish. „Brasso“ has done the job as good as any wheel would’ve done it.

View attachment 198908View attachment 198909View attachment 198910View attachment 198911View attachment 198912
That came out very nice!

• Love
Reactions: UB 40

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Love it in the sunlight, hope it smokes as good as it looks!

How do you like that Scottish Mixture?
I keep a tin handy in my kitchen for a quick, change of pace smoke. I get the Scotch whisky flavour in the after-taste.

Great looking pipe, fills don't worry me none, unless they are a different colour to the stain.
Fills don’t worry me either they melt in the grain.

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
That’s a great job on that fill. I’ve tried a number of products. Thus far the one I like is LePages Plastic Wood. No water clean up.

Attachments

• 79D76C3B-D009-4BA1-B1A9-6CBE2D057235.jpeg
    79D76C3B-D009-4BA1-B1A9-6CBE2D057235.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 0