Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’ve been contemplating picking up a Falcon. I have plenty of pipes but...

Falcons seem to have a strong following. Can you share why you love your Falcons? What would you recommend for an experienced pipe smoker? New vs vintage? Anything else I should know?

Many thanks!
They smoke great as a rule, clean easily, and can’t hardly be damaged.
However the chambers are usually quite small/shallow.. often smaller than the smallest Pete’s.
The stem is plastic unless you get a real old one.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So I’d recommend a vintage one with either the nylon bit or an even older one with vulcanite. Also the older ones have a taller humidome so old vs new bowls will fit. If you get a new stem, an old bowl will not fit but a new bowl will fit an old stem (if that makes sense?).

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I bought one with a meer bowl to try out a meerschaum without shelling out alot of money. I also have two brair bowls I use occasionally. Its fun for a change of pace. It has a low cost to try out, I think you can get a starter kit with two bowls some places for around $50.

The draw is narrow, but I haven't had it negatively effect the taste of anything.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Good to know. Probably too small for me.
They do offer a bowl called the “Hyperbole” or “Snifter” that is larger (normal size)

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I bought one with a meer bowl to try out a meerschaum without shelling out alot of money. I also have two brair bowls I use occasionally. Its fun for a change of pace. It has a low cost to try out, I think you can get a starter kit with two bowls some places for around $50.

The draw is narrow, but I haven't had it negatively effect the taste of anything.
I find the draw pretty open. Are you using a dry ring or no?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I didn't own a Falcon for many years and finally bought one on sale from Iwan Ries. It seemed like something I should try. I bought the copper colored shank that looks less like a piece of plumbing. It has a briar Dublin bowl. I've enjoyed it, but have found that it requires a bit of fumbling with the moisture ring (made out of a pipe cleaner), and that tends to redirect me to something else on the rack that requires less fiddling. But they are good smokers, light weight, balanced and compact in hand. I'd say, find a good deal and go ahead and buy one and see how you like it. Some smoke almost only Falcons and have an endless supply of bowls. I'm glad to own my one. And it looks very snappy.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I own two, straight, classic stems. A Meer Genoa and a Meer Plymouth bowl.

Chambers on these bowls are a bit smaller in diameter, but there are bowls available that are more normal sized.

Issue I had with one of the stems was that the end of the casting had flash on it blocking the airway. I contacted Falcon, and they emailed me back asking for the model, and saying they would probably replace it... then I never heard from them again. Emailed them asking what's up, no response. Been a couple months, so customer service is kinda nebulous. I just drilled out the end and got rid of the flash blocking the airway.

They are good smokers. Draw is open. You can make your own filters by wrapping a pipe cleaner around the barrel of a pen, and cutting it with a pair of diagonal cutters. I fill the straight section at the bottom of the bowl with granulated active charcoal (A homemade charcoal filter), it takes the bite out of the Virginias.

Seems people either love them or hate them... Quicker cleanup than a Kirsten. But I love my Kirstens too.

For the relatively inexpensive price, I'd say go for it.

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I just bought one on eBay. I had a few before, including a very small size "the brentford" and sold them and now I miss them. They do preform very well with a cooler drier smoke(but not necessarily better flavour) and the construction is quality. I am a fan of slightly smaller bowls and open draws, so they work for me as well in that regard.

I'd say go for it, but I'd also say go for a meer and a clay and a cob to see what tickles your fancy though. I've only bought used ones myself for pretty cheap.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
i actually wonder if there is shortage of newFalcons at the moment .Certainly ebay sellers are showing several out of stock.i was looking yesterday to by a new curved stem
I read somewhere Aluminium is hard to get at the moment due to the pandemic,could this mean frame castings numbers are down

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I say get one. I smoke mine pretty regularly. Usually on my way home from work. In more of a hurry to get home then to get to work. They smoke great and the only problem is the smaller bowl though you can get bigger ones including a stack. But they work as advertised are easy to clean. I say get one. If you don't like it you can probably trade if for a few tins so not a total loss.

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I bought a falcon recently along with two bowls. Wanted to like it and looked forward to getting it. Love how they look. The draw was terrible no matter what I did (with or without the dry ring) with either bowl. It was smokeable but absolutely not enjoyable. I may be to use to the wide open draw on Castellos and Radices, but I just could not do it. I traded the pipe and bowls almost immediately. Of course, people have been swearing by them for decades so it might just be me...

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
Checkout the Falcon chimney bowls.

IMG_0896__22129.1455192966.168.300.JPG

Pipes - Falcon Pipes - Falcon Bowls - All Bowls - Page 1 - GQ Tobaccos - https://www.gqtobaccos.com/all-falcon-bowls/