PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
My father was diagnosed with game over cancer 13 years ago and given 3 months to live. He cheated death and stole life for an additional 3 months before passing at 58 years old, like his father and grandfather before him.

My father and I didn't see eye to eye while I was growing up. The relationship slightly changed when I went to graduate school. Unfortunately, our time was cut short as we developed the father-son relationship and he never got to see me excel in my profession or his only grandchild.

After his passing, I was in a fog for several years. While the fog eventually lifted, I found sun still shines but just not as bright. I think of my father often and wish I could tell him about his only granddaughter, my successes and failures, and for fatherly advice.

As a relatively new father myself (does anyone really know what they're doing), I can only hope to raise my daughter so she is more successful than I and that I beat the family curse and awaken on my 59th birthday.

To all of those reading this post, happy father's day to you and/or your father. If your father is still with us, don't waste the time you have left, for this life can be unexpectatedly taken away without a moment's notice.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My father and I didn't see eye to eye while I was growing up.
I hear you there. Twenty years passes and Mr and my father hadn't spoken a word. Six months prior to his death we began talking again and the last time we spoke before his passing I got him to try Old Dark Fired in a pipe that my youngest daughter picked for me. I've smoked ODF in it on every Father's Day since.

20220619_105847.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My father was diagnosed with game over cancer 13 years ago and given 3 months to live. He cheated death and stole life for an additional 3 months before passing at 58 years old, like his father and grandfather before him.

My father and I didn't see eye to eye while I was growing up. The relationship slightly changed when I went to graduate school. Unfortunately, our time was cut short as we developed the father-son relationship and he never got to see me excel in my profession or his only grandchild.

After his passing, I was in a fog for several years. While the fog eventually lifted, I found sun still shines but just not as bright. I think of my father often and wish I could tell him about his only granddaughter, my successes and failures, and for fatherly advice.

As a relatively new father myself (does anyone really know what they're doing), I can only hope to raise my daughter so she is more successful than I and that I beat the family curse and awaken on my 59th birthday.

To all of those reading this post, happy father's day to you and/or your father. If your father is still with us, don't waste the time you have left, for this life can be unexpectatedly taken away without a moment's notice.
I know how you feel. My dad was diagnosed with cancer and lasted 6 months before he passed, just after Christmas In 2009. Then my mom passed away 3 years later, a few months before my daughter was born. Both parents were 57 when they died. It's sad, cause I know my dad especially would have seriously loved our daughter. She has his same sense of humor.

At this rate, 32 years old I'm already half past my life expectancy. If I make it to 58 years old I'm going to throw a huge party.

Happy father's Day to everyone. Blood, pseudo, and bonus dad's alike!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of us depend on the advice and family history from our fathers (and moms) on into adulthood. I was so lucky as to have my father until I was sixty years old. We were close and had a good understanding. I seem happier with my relationship to him than my two sisters were, although they were always good to him. It's important to share family stories with both children and grandchildren. Otherwise, the family story is just a blank. Every story is a priceless gift.

For example, my two great aunts shared ownership of an electric car in the 1920's, a Studebaker electric. Everything old is new again. Elon Musk had nothing to do with it. It puts the world in perspective.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I sent this to my son shortly after the birth of his son, our only grandchild so far, almost 3 years ago…

A Little Fellow Follows Me
Rev. Claude Wisdom White, Sr

A careful man I want to be —
A little fellow follows me.
I do not dare to go astray,
For fear he’ll go the self-same way.

I cannot once escape his eyes.
Whatever he sees me do he tries.
Like me he says he’s going to be —
That little chap who follows me…

He knows that I am big and fine —
And believes in every word of mine.