To Age, or Not to Age...That is the Question...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
We regularly compare tobacco to wine, and we frequently talk about cellaring and aging them as well. Sometimes we must age, analyze, and contemplate...especially if you're a Master Tobacco Blender. That is actually work. Let's take a moment to relax, kick back, smoke a pipe and read G.L. Pease's February blog post for PipesMagazine.

Of a Certain Age

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I never appreciated wine. There was a time I had a very good French friend. We used to cook most weekends together and invited girls for dinner parties. Those parties will involve around 7 - 8 bottles a night. Not for getting drunk on, but to be a part of each stage of the course. I drank them. After all, I would not allow the soil and toil of those people who sweated and bleed growing those grapes. Girls all enjoyed it and rave about the dinner and wine. My friend being a French and a son of a chef, also loved it. But behind my smile, I just wanted few pints of Guinness and few shots of Bushmills. I loved the company of beautiful girls, but wine just isn't my thing. Sort of like certain blends, I'll smoke 'em, but won't love 'em. Of late, I have been wondering at what point once the tin is opened the blend will hit it's optimal characteristic. Maybe instead of spinning my remaining brain cells, I'll just enjoy them for what they are at that moment.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Great article. I try not to buy anything for the distinct purpose of aging. If it isn't appealing to me fresh, I wouldn't want to waste the space and time on it to see if it gets better.

Most of my on purpose aging comes in the form of letting a blend air out a bet to get rid of some of the rough edges it may have. Usually only takes about a month, although even a week after opening the tin, changes can be perceived.

My not on purpose aging comes from the fact that I have a lot of tobacco, and I'm only one man.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Well, I can tell you this. At the Vegas Pipe Show I bought a tin of 17 year old Samuel Gawith Best Brown #2. It's pretty amazing. It's like smoking dark-fired sugar. You can even see the sugar streaks on the flakes. I'll be very sad when it's gone.
It’s delicious young as well. I just wish I could stop telling myself I’m smoking “brown #2.” On the other hand, at least it’s the best brown #2.

sjohnston0311

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2023
Massachusetts, USA
Great article. I try not to buy anything for the distinct purpose of aging. If it isn't appealing to me fresh, I wouldn't want to waste the space and time on it to see if it gets better.

Same here. I stockpile tobacco not for the purpose of aging, but in anticipation of the day that it becomes prohibitively expensive to buy. Any aging of my tobacco is purely incidental.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Luckily, the oldest things in my cellar are reaching 14-13 years, with most of the tins coming up on 10 years. And, of course I am still adding to it to take me into my octogenarian years.
Have you ever opened an older tin and concluded that you preferred it fresh? Or perhaps aged a blend only to find the tin or its seal had failed, rendering the tobacco unsmokable?

Reactions: kcghost
Have you ever opened an older tin and concluded that you preferred it fresh? Or perhaps aged a blend only to find the tin or its seal had failed, rendering the tobacco unsmokable?
I have opened an older jar and decided that i just didn't like that blend aged or otherwise. This led me to give away pounds of Stonehaven on here.

There are blends that I like so much that I smoke them faster than I can age. C&D Habana Daydream is one. I just can't stop smoking it for long enough to set some back. Heck, I don't even jar it anymore. I just dip my pipe into the one pound bag over and over. Great stuff.

But, any that I don't like aged that I prefer not aged... I can't think of any. Most, I can taste the casing on, and I much prefer what age does to that casing, as it seem to either dissipate or drive deeper into the leaf making it more subtle. If I had my preference, I'd never smoke anything with a casing, but :::sigh::: most of the tobaccos are doused in the stuff.

Reactions: yanoJL

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Unfortunately, yes. Two blends come immediately to mind.

I love the delicate floral-incense qualities of Syrian latakia, but I’ve found that at least one of my preferred Syrian blends—Brebbia’s now-discontinued Preludio Mixture No. 60—loses that unique flavor/aroma over time. (It may depend on the actual Syrian used. I haven’t compared Preludio to, say, Frog Morton across the Pond, which I believe may have used Syrian from that remarkable harvest in the early 2000s.) Now, it simply smokes like a standard English. That’s fine, but it’s not what it once was.

And I love fresh Penzance. Once I discovered it, it was my number-one blend and the majority of what I smoked every day for more than a decade. (That was when it was as readily available as any other blend.) But there is a particular tang to the orientals—especially noticeable in the retrohale—when it’s young that mellows away once it has even a couple of years on it. To me, aged Penzance just isn’t the same revelatory Penzance that introduced me to the blend.

As for “lost” tins: Within the last five years, I discovered that a long-held round tin of Margate had lost its seal; that a 20+ year old canister of London Blend #1000 had a tiny, tiny rust spot that compromised the tin; and that basement mice had discovered a fondness for Esoterica bags, leading to the loss of 1-and-a-half pounds of Penzance. (If it had just been a seal failure, I’d have saved the tobacco, which was what I did for the Margate and the London Blend; dried-out tobacco can easily be rehydrated. I was squeamish, though, about trying to smoke something that had come into close contact with mouse saliva.)

And, yes, I realize that I was just saying I didn’t love aged Penzance as much as fresh Penzance. Still, it was a heartbreaking loss, because some Penzance is better than no Penzance.

Last edited:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
There are blends that I like so much that I smoke them faster than I can age.
Same here. I recently re-inventoried my cellar (after selling off about 2/3 of it several years ago), and I was really surprised to discover that I didn’t have a single tin of some of my favorite blends: GLPease Caravan and Rattray’s Old Gowrie, for example. I remember setting some of each aside, but I blazed through them without even noticing.

Same here. I recently re-inventoried my cellar (after selling off about 2/3 of it several years ago), and I was really surprised to discover that I didn’t have a single tin of some of my favorite blends: GLPease Caravan and Rattray’s Old Gowrie, for example. I remember setting some of each aside, but I blazed through them without even noticing.
I also can't keep Haddos Delight around... I just go nuts on that blend. So, I tried jarring up a few of those one pound cans to see if I could fool myself into keeping those around long enough to age, because I definitely like it with some age.

I have 2 to 3 tins of each of the GLP blends that I really like, but I really should set back more of these... but, I have so much tobacco already. It's hard to bring myself to buy more.