PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I'm doing a smoking cessation fundraiser next month in memory of a friend of mine who died of cancer and he'd never smoked!
More about "Ragnar" here:

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
No booze / pipeweed today as I start my sponsored smoking cessation tomorrow (originally planned for May but will be doing it in June now due to a relapse when I had a smoke at the VE Day party in my cul de sac).
Please wish me luck!
I intend to celebrate the end of lockdown with a couple of pints of real ale and a smoke of Captain Black (Birthday present from Condorlover1).

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
No booze / pipeweed today as I start my sponsored smoking cessation tomorrow (originally planned for May but will be doing it in June now due to a relapse when I had a smoke at the VE Day party in my cul de sac).
Please wish me luck!
I intend to celebrate the end of lockdown with a couple of pints of real ale and a smoke of Captain Black (Birthday present from Condorlover1).
Best of luck! You can do it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife and I went to virtual church yesterday and they read off a list of those who had departed in the last year, and we had added our note by email remembering my wife's longtime newspaper colleague at Long Island Newsday, who my wife lovingly remembered (not in the church note!) as a Camel smoking, gin drinking newspaper broad -- and consummate professional. She died at 96. My wife introduced me to her when my wife was still on Long Island, and the friend apparently approved me as a potential partner for my wife.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not to sound sentimental, but the long-lived (18 years) cat Bella, born in the Pine Barrens of Long Island, lived partly outdoors for many years, had three kittens when very young, lived in Greenwich Village for a spell, and transferred down to N.C. in a car in a carrier. The most intense, life-of-the-mind cat, capable of self-assertion and compromise, always a presence. Chose her time and died in my arms, making a short announcement, and going on. What a gal. I am honored.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My apologies! I supposed most of our US members would recognize the significance of the date posted and that the toast is ... well, a military one for those who are either interred overseas or returned home combat in a casket. Again, my apologies for the misunderstanding. I should have guessed my sentiment would be hijacked by the unknowing. No harm done I think. You folks just keep on with your thoughts.

My post was probably a wee bit obtuse for some.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
warren, sorry, didn't mean to lead this one astray. Memorial Day, as a remembrance of people in uniform fallen for their country, when flags are placed on Veterans' graves, though not necessarily those fallen in battle, has merged somewhat with Decoration Day, and the ritual especially in rural areas of visiting, cleaning, and decorating the graves of all family and ancestors. But you said Memorial Day, and I should have followed the thread.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Originally "Decoration Day". A time for fresh flowers on the graves of Union soldiers. It grew from the Southern (former Confederacy) honoring of fallen soldiers in many cities of the former CSA. Originally an unofficial recognition by wives, mothers and sweethearts, a former Union officer, his name slips my old brain, began the tradition in ... Ohio? Again a failing brain.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I know the feeling Warren, reading a fiction book about POWS from Vietnam moved to Russia , USA claimed not to know about them, a passage that told of Christmas and the gifts given, one man had sewed a very small USA flag and gave it to his friend, his friend had an old Timex watch that he gave the flag giver, Broke my heart!:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.