Titanic Tour Sub Missing. Remarks/Questions.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Ok. Titanic was cursed from the start. Three people were in the sub. It was an hour tour. The sub didn't return on time. It's considered missing at this point.

Few questions and remarks.

1. In case of an issue, the sub was supposed to surface automatically.
2. Three people in a tight spaces miles under the ocean is a terrible way to go.
3. Hope they return safely.
4. Didn't they have rescue beacons?
5. Were they made in China?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Doing high risk activities as tourism seems like a bad idea. At least an oceanographer has a pretty clear idea of what the risks are, in most cases, and may elect to do it or not depending on his assessment of the value of the research and the dependability of the engineering.

To take a submarine tour of the Titanic as a recreational excursion, considering both the expense and the risk, seems irresponsible. Now I'm blaming the victims, but that seems like the situation to me.

Even carnival rides fit this category. Those rides are moved around eight or ten or more times a year, completely dismantled and re-assembled. The crew has its good days and its bad days, good weather and bad, good ground and shifty ground to work with. Do you want to bet your life on that?

Miles underwater, multiply the risk by 100.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Even carnival rides fit this category. Those rides are moved around eight or ten or more times a year, completely dismantled and re-assembled. The crew has its good days and its bad days, good weather and bad, good ground and shifty ground to work with. Do you want to bet your life on that?
Every time I get on a freeway I'm betting my life on the rest of you. How scary is that?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I agree Tom, that high risk tourism is just asking for trouble...it's only a matter of time before people get hurt. We had a horrible situation just off the coast here at White Island, tours used to go out to experience a volcanic environment, and then in 2019 an eruption killed 22 people. Tourism is hard to justify at that point...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Doing high risk activities as tourism seems like a bad idea.
I didn’t know subs available for rides to the general public could go that deep. Are there pictures of that sub?
Considering that it cost $250,000 per person to take this "tour" I don't think I'd call it general public tourism.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Taking a risky ride in a leetle can that goes way down is conceptually no different than a risky ride in a leetle can that goes way up, and people have been doing that for 20+ years.

Merton

Lifer
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I have been interested in Titanic since I read Walter Lord's "A Night to Remember" when I was in my early 20s. Since then I have read literally scores of books and read a lot of the "Encyclopedia Titanica" (a great website). I have a good deal of Titanic memorabilia including a small (very) piece of wood recovered by the Mackay-Bennet or another recovery ship immediately following the sinking. At a cocktail party a number of years ago I had a pointed discussion with Bob Ballard (we were both a bit lubricated) about his criticism of those who were intending to bring up artifacts from the site. Earlier that very day I attended a lecture in which he described retrieving items from an ancient shipwreck site. I pointed out the inconsistency and he was not amused.
In any event, I would love to go down to the wreck in one of the submersibles. The price, even if I could afford it, is not appropriate given the good it might do elsewhere. However, as I understand it, the submersible (which is tethered) falls for 2 hours in nearly total darkness. As it descends if the there is as much as pin size hole in the vessel the passengers are in very deep trouble and unlikely to survive.

I hope that this has a positive conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.