PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
It sure does seem that way. Today I went back to my tobacconist to see about making a deal/trade and made one! Made nine tampers and said goodbye to them and two pipes and said hello to these two pipes!
Another Dunhill shell briar! This one has a banded shank due to a crack which I don't mind at all. It's certainly smoking well right now.
IMG_0977-1.jpg

And this pretty darn sizable Calich EEE. Calich was a Canadian maker that I still hadn't added to my collection due to the pipes popping up on ebay getting driven up past my budget and so I decided to grab this one.
IMG_0970.jpg

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Thanks fellas! Today was a good day indeed. I feel especially good about this acquisition because it confirms my suspicion that my work with tampers is worth something. :puffy:

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Well alright. Here's a pretty good example of a typical tamper right now in shape. It's one of my favourites both to turn and to hold for how comfortably it sits in the hand while tamping. Past the valley above the shell casing I do some variation above that and once I get a drill chuck to fit in my lathe I'll definitely start making them with a pick inside.
IMG_09781.jpg

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Thank you very much sir. As the craftsman I've got to be a bit of a salesman. I would happily make one or more for anybody who wants one and would like to pay $20. :wink:

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
Nice work, muede. Did you trade 2 Pipes? What pipes did you trade?. My primitive brain uses only stove bolts and hinge pins for tampers, but yours are very nice. Apick inside would be way cool. What kind of wood do you use for the tampers? :twisted:

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Well I traded a Brigham and a GBD. I very rarely smoked either of them and didn't really like how the Brigham felt in my hand but I definitely like what I got for them. My tampers are also in the shop and they know where they got them and I told the fellas that if they wanted more I could definitely make 'em and see about putting their shop name on them. That in my opinion is also worth something and potentially a good deal.
Woods that I've used have been mainly domestic hardwoods like walnut, oak, and maple. Like any turner though I'll be investing in some more exotic woods to turn sometime and show some seriously cool grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.