PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withoutink

Lurker
Sep 11, 2014
I wanted to see if there are any suggestions as to how to get rid of the aftertaste in my mouth. I'm a newbie and I'm sure I don't have the process correct, nor the smoke down pat. So, after smoking I'm left with a dry mouth, with a sooty / ashy taste. I brush my teeth, gargle and even the next morning I can taste it. Any suggestions? Is this something that is a byproduct of my bad form and extreme novice skills? Or is it something we all have to deal with?
If so, how do we get rid of the aftertaste? Mints didn't seem to work either.
I may be hype sensitive too it as I've never been a smoker. Just wanted to see what you do.
Also how can we relieve the dryness in the mouth? I drank a ton of water, to no avail.

You can try Biotene, but really since the nicotine is absorbed into the blood vessels of your mouth, the whole point of smoking a pipe is to get that coating in your mouth where it is continuing to be absorbed. You might try another tobacco if that one doesn't suit your taste. But, I love the after taste of most of my tobaccos. The only ones that seem to leave a negative taste are aromatics and a few latakias that I've tried. I just avoid those.

evanu

Lurker
Sep 10, 2014
I have the same problem. I've tried all different ways to try and prevent it. I think it might be from smoking too hot. I would be interested in hearing what a more experienced person has to say.

tinkertank

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2014
smoke a little slower, burning hot burns the crap out of your tongue. Also try drinking during the smoke something slightly sweet/bitter/acidic helps with taste, not only tasting the tobacco during the smoke but afterwards. I like tea, or lemon-lime Gatorade. too acidic will though will hurt, tried drinking cola once during a smoke... good lord.
After that it's a matter of just getting used to it, if your tongue is getting raw in one spot, shift it to the other side of your mouth.

wfin73

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2014
I tend to only get it with certain tobaccos. The worse I've had was from 1888 After Dinner. I could still taste it the next morning. I typically don't get it with my normal Carter Hall or Sir Walter Raleigh.

wfin73

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2014
Me too!! I gave it away because of that.
The first time I tried it I rubbed it out and smoked it in a cob, and it was OK. The 2nd time I tried the "roll and stuff" method in a briar and I got the awful after taste, nut sure why, I didn't think the different packing method or pipe would do THAT! YUCK!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
It's partly a matter of getting used to it - after all, you're basically smoking the inside of your mouth just like you would a piece of brisket. A certain amount gets absorbed, and it takes a while to work it all back out. I have a whole routine that involves washing my beard and mustache, brushing my teeth, rinsing and gargling with Biotene, and even using a neti pot if I've been exhaling through my nose... :D
I smoke a fair bit of Latakia, so I hear you. Drink lots of water before, during, and after. Chewing gum may assist a little as well.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I have been dealing with this same issue. I've made sure to slow way down while smoking and try not to over heat my pipe or or burn the tobacco while lighting . I seen some people say only to hold your lighter over the pipe for a second or two at a time . Bad news is I'm still getting a bad taste I think my next step is to try different tobacco .. Right now I have about 5 different aromatic blends from Boswell I've been trying with no success .

tinkertank

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2014
I have been dealing with this same issue. I've made sure to slow way down while smoking and try not to over heat my pipe or or burn the tobacco while lighting . I seen some people say only to hold your lighter over the pipe for a second or two at a time
Same, I find it's very easy to screw your entire smoke while lighting. If you rush it, you'll just burn your mouth out. The tobacco and smoke is the hottest while lighting, so definitely be gingerly with it and take your time. I never have my mouth fully closed over the stem while puffing, during lighting and I take three slow open draws, flicking the lighter over it for a second at a time.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I think a lot of it will be attributed to "new pipe mouth". When I first started I hated how my mouth felt and tasted the next day. It does get better....and I really only smoke a couple times a week max. Other tips I'll echo:
1. Slow down. SLOW DOWN. That is seriously the #1 cure to many ills. Take small sip on the pipe, and don't smoke it quickly. Its okay if you need to relight.

2. Biotene really is great after a smoke.

3. Drink water, and in general stay hydrated.

4. Consider the tobacco. Some here have tobaccos that simply don't work for them. I find I can't do the drugstore "codger" brands like half and half, Prince Albert, etc. Most of them have heavy amounts of propylene glycol and I just can't do it. Others find a specific leaf....like red Virginia....is hard on their mouth. Try some other things our.

5. SLOW DOWN! Smoke SLOWLY. Everything about it is better if you do.

6. Slow down.
:)

Mar 1, 2014
Aftertaste is an important part of the tobacco experience for me.
For example, MacBaren Scottish Blend tastes good, but it also has an ashy aftertaste the next day. Whereas the aftertaste from an aged Virginia is just fantastic, both immediately and the next day.
Some are better, some worse. I just consider it an attribute of the blend.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Having a successful smoke with Boswells Piper's Pleasure today . What I'm doing is while lighting move match over tobacco evenly with slow draw only folding it there till I get a taste of sweetness from the blend comes though which is with in a second or two . So far my best smoke with any of the blends I've bought from them so far . I can taste the flavor and have no burnt tobacco taste !!!!! Only down fall is I'm half way through my bowl and have gone through 18 matches but I'd rather do that right now than have yhd bad taste : )

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
This is what has worked for me. A " tongue scraper". A four inch long by 1/4 inch tall plastic band with little ridges from end to end. Kinda like a band saw blade but with friendlier teeth! Brush your teeth, gurgle mouth wash, then apply tongue scraper working from back of tongue to the front. Your should see some black saliva on the strip repeat until clean.
It has worked well for me. Hope it helps. I know you can acquire them from your dentist if you ask. My girlfriend says you can find them at drugstores too.
If you want I can post a pic later. I'm too lazy now. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.