PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
Thank you for all the helpful replies, especially cosmicfolklore, I think it would of taken me a while to come to some of these conclusions. I think my pipe is just a tad too heavy but still smokable this way and while I want to get an author or bulldog shape I guess a lighter pipe will have to wait. I find something is lost while smoking hands free personally, I was feel very anxious about something yesterday, sat down and had a smoke and found that enjoying the moment and concentrating on the experience calmed my nerves a bit. I’m just anticipating something like walking my dog in the rain with an umbrella I guess...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I clench on the right side of my mouth at all times. Most of my pipes are made for clenching but I do have a few that I hold in my hand while smoking. I take the smoke into my mouth and then exhale through my nose or out of my mouth. I am not a breath smoker as I don't get enough smoke or flavor with that method.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Harris- Maybe ask your dentist if moving it about a bit would be "a good thing". (Mostly for the gums, which receive the brunt of clenching something).

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I don't have much to add here but I will say that cobs are really comfortable to clench if we're talking the smaller shapes. The stems are fairly soft and comfortable(mine are starting to get chewed up real good after a few months of constant use, but I have replacements) I predominantly smoke everything hands free with a modified breath smoking method that goes from forgetting I have a lit pipe, to puffing like a lunatic every 3 seconds, to forgetting again. Would not recommend this method of course, it's just how I smoke. The breath method in itself is awesome, and worth really trying to get used to. Even incorporating it a little bit really has improved my enjoyment of pipe smoking. Oh actually, one last thing I thought of at the last second-- I would advise experimenting with where you clench the pipe, whether its the front of your mouth with say a bent pipe, or the back teeth with a straight, using softee bits or not, etc. You'll eventually find what works best for you. Best of luck.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
1. Get a light weight pipe.
2. Get a short pipe.
3. Get a bent pipe.
You can actually get all three in one package! A short, bent, light weight pipe! Of which I totally agree!

Keep the weight down less than 1.5oz., and the length under 5in. And you should be good. Then smoke it, often. Eventually, you won't think about smoking and or swallowing. It just happens. Does this mean you NEVER take it out of you mouth! No! Change sides, tamp if needed, and then back to it.

Do Not Inhale....it's bad for you they say!

Eventually you'll get to know your cadence. I also agree that you don't need to see tons of smoke, and that too will develop and surprise you as you think you still have tobacco left but it's really all ash!

So, if it's something you enjoy, then work at it.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
I find the steady knees quite handy to brace the steering wheel whilst making brief adjustments- relights, quick finger tamping, etc. Only on straightaways and always being safe; paying attention to surroundings.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I find the steady knees quite handy to brace the steering wheel whilst making brief adjustments- relights, quick finger tamping, etc. Only on straightaways and always being safe; paying attention to surroundings.

Those things you can do with one hand on the wheel. Loading a pipe sometimes takes two hands, knees on the wheel.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
When i clench, which is about 50% of the time i would bet, i let the smoke collect in my mouth and occasionally blow it out my nose. No air or smoke exits my mouth.

Pro tip: Dont try to drink coffee while thinking about how you smoke :)

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I always seem to drool too much when clenching. I enjoy holding the pipe anyway and usually only smoke when I setting down to relax so there's really no need for me to clench / keep my hands free. Something to practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.