PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
The title is the gist of it. In my limited experience I have not come accustomed to a pleasurable way to do this. Do you generally keep your rig to one side and expel the smoke through the other side?

Reactions: rushx9
Clenching, breathsmoking, whatever technique you want to call it... it's all really as simple as just keeping the pipe in your clench, while smoking it as little as possible... really, just having it in your mouth without consciously doing anything with it is the best way. The key is just not overthinking it.

Your natural cadence with your breath, will expand the gullet of your throat, keeping a constant in and out of air, and will be just enough to keep it lit.

No, you don't blow smoke out at all. Really your best smokes are always going to be without any evidence that your smoking at all, so no one will ever really see me blow smoke. That's more of a cigar thing anyways.

I have accidentally walked into grocery stores, malls, and even the art museum while smoking my pipe. I just forget its there. And, I was all the way back to the contemporary art section when I realized I was smoking. No one said anything to me, mostly because you can't tell whether I am just walking around with an unlit pipe or smoking.

Big billows of smoke are more reserved for folks that just started. YMMV

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Clenching a pipe isn't necessarily "breath smoking". Tips? Use as little pressure as you can. Change position every once in a while. Don't worry about anything else, except walking into a wall. Avoid clenching churchwardens.

Enjoy.

I often clench when putting or chipping, but never during a full swing, if that helps at all.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
My best is with a full-bent pipe, hanging off a lower tooth rather than clenched in the molars. It is the least effort and produces no excess saliva, which is my issue when I clench back in the molars. Preferably in a place with a bit of airflow so the smoke never gets in my eyes.

With practice I hope to master other styles. I’ve been shovelling snow this winter with a light straight pipe, and seeing how long I can go before I grab it out of my mouth to swallow extra spit. Getting pretty good, because we’ve had a lot of snow.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Place stem between teeth. Close teeth on stem. Puff. Release smoke. Learn to breath in without full inhale in order to release smoke through nose to enhance taste/flavor. Buy pipes that have a wide, thin stem that is conducive to clenching and also weigh less than 2 ounces, 5 1/2" or less in length. Enjoy.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Sit on your thumbs! Kidding, but really, be careful at first because if you don't know the ins and outs of breath smoking, it's easy to get tongue bite trying to clench. Also, some guys have iron jaws and don't have to worry about it, but if I clench too hard or for too long in the same spot, my teeth and gums will hurt later. Light weight shorter straight pipes and full bent "hangers" make things easier.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
+1 for the sentiments of just barely keeping the thing lit and using breath smoking (or breath smoking-ish) ...practice does indeed make perfect!

I am still not all the way there with this but have gotten a lot better. I think the real trick, for me, has been getting the thing lit in that zone of "not going to go out" and "not totally choochin' full steam" ...takes forever to get a flake in this zone but can 'set it and forget it' for an hour sometimes when the planets align.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr
...takes forever to get a flake in this zone
90% of the time I will just rub out flakes. I already smoke as slow as Christmas, never really getting one finished under an hour. And, I get amazing flavors, so having to stop and fiddle with a flake just makes a pleasurable smoke an annoying piddling experience for me. I hate having to stop, pull the pipe out of my mouth and get out a tamper and fiddle with a flake because it only wants to burn straight down the center.
Maybe flakes are more for beginners. puffy

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
90% of the time I will just rub out flakes. I already smoke as slow as Christmas, never really getting one finished under an hour. And, I get amazing flavors, so having to stop and fiddle with a flake just makes a pleasurable smoke an annoying piddling experience for me. I hate having to stop, pull the pipe out of my mouth and get out a tamper and fiddle with a flake because it only wants to burn straight down the center.
Maybe flakes are more for beginners. puffy

No question, flakes are not for novices. You have to have a competent packing and smoking technique to enjoy them.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Sit on your thumbs! Kidding, but really, be careful at first because if you don't know the ins and outs of breath smoking, it's easy to get tongue bite trying to clench.

Or forget what you're doing and take a deep breath through your mouth. When I first started this happened everytime I brought in the groceries. A big rip of pipe smoke to the lung can make you see stars.

• Haha
Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I can get it great while driving on my work commute, often a bowl of rubbed or broken VA flake that will last me both ways (about 1.25 hour total). Great flavor, relaxing cadence, etc.

At home, forget it. If I try to clench while doing anything but sitting on my ass, then I'm drooling everywhere and it's running down the stem. I'm also unconsciously smoking it so fast that the pipe body is too hot to hold, and also blowing fine ashes everywhere to boot! First world problems, I know.

Reactions: Casual and BROBS

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Would a larger bore help accomplish this impossible feat? Just tried to 'just park the pipe there' and no smoke would come into my mouth. Maybe it's my Brigham's not so large bore.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
yes a more open draw will help keeping lit while clenching... also a straight pipe if you let it dangle way down it's easier to keep lit when clenching.. actually any pipe. Let it hang from the bottom teeth.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Would a larger bore help accomplish this impossible feat? Just tried to 'just park the pipe there' and no smoke would come into my mouth. Maybe it's my Brigham's not so large bore.

I'm by no means an expert. My research and experimenting has shown me that it all has a lot to do with how you pack the pipe, and moisture in the tobacco.

Reactions: BROBS

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Only clench when I'm getting one of pipe cleaners out, or cleaning a pipe nail. Sort of park it on upper teeth and support it with lower lip. If doing something more, bottom teeth get involved. But most of the time, I prefer to support the pipe with left hand.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.