PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Hi,

I recently bought activated charcoal and waterglass to apply a bowl coating on my cleaned pipes. But when I start smoking them again the bowl coat keeps breaking/ flaking off, from thin to thick coats. And the coats look nice and level after they have dried, 2-3 days of drying, Some parts of the coating does stick wel, but some places keep breaking. I even tried 2 coats with atleast 24hours intervals.

Anyone know how I can get my bowl coats to stick? I went to pipemakersforum to search for an answer, but I couldn't find a specific answer.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Interesting, I thought this would be about removing bowl coating not the other way around.
I've heard of some members using honey and ash to build cake, maybe something similar to that?
Hahaha sorry. After posting this I looked at the header and saw that it was open for interpretation.

But yea, I was trying the water glass for about a week now and the coating keeps cracking. I will try the honey version as soon as I will get the honey. But now the question about the honey version is if I should get pure honey or cheap version.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hi,

I recently bought activated charcoal and waterglass to apply a bowl coating on my cleaned pipes. But when I start smoking them again the bowl coat keeps breaking/ flaking off, from thin to thick coats. And the coats look nice and level after they have dried, 2-3 days of drying, Some parts of the coating does stick wel, but some places keep breaking. I even tried 2 coats with atleast 24hours intervals.

Anyone know how I can get my bowl coats to stick? I went to pipemakersforum to search for an answer, but I couldn't find a specific answer.
I have had similar experience with this stuff that I eventually throw all it away in the trash bin, and as far as for honey, anything goes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always give extra points for new pipes that come without bowl coating, though when they do, I pay no attention. Neither coating or no coating has ever given me any trouble. I sure wouldn't bother adding coating to a new or used pipe. I don't build cake either, just scoop and wipe the bowl, maintaining a thin carbon layer that maintains the chamber size and never needs reaming. Pipe smoking is supposed to be mostly care free. "Keep it simple, simple as you can." From a poem by the North Carolina poet Anna Wooten-Hawkins.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I've never tried adding anything to build cake, it builds up quicker than you'd think and I usually have to pay attention and scrape frequently used pipes out before the cake gets too thick. I like a thin layer of cake though so I've never worried about adding anything to build up cake. When a pipe comes with the bowl coating from the factory I usually take some sandpaper and knock most of it off at least.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Bowl coatings always make me wonder what the maker was trying to hide and i remove as much of them as possible before smoking a new pipe.

Some of them also taste terrible, much worse than bare briar, for a while stanwell was using a coating that i swear tasted like road tar.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I'd never heard of using those as a bowl coating. Thought they were for burnouts, the bottom of the bowl maybe, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.