Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This is a little sad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192766490500?ul_noapp=true
The seller is just a big fan of Tinsky pipes and used to be a participating forum member (tinpan). I met in at the last CORPS show in Va, where he showed this collection, and had a ready to print book. The book never made it. I'm sure his name was Robin, but I can't recall the last name.
The seller was a customer of the now closed JB Hayes show in Northern VA (John Hayes ran that one). Johns son, Matthew still runs the JB Hayes in Winchester VA. As mentioned in the ebay ad, John was one of the original seller of Tinsky Christmas pipes. John makes a living as a fishing guide on the Potomac and Mark is a big fishing enthusiast, so I guess they hit it off early. JM Boswell well said they all three used to travel to shows together, I guess that would have been in the late 80's?
Robin started thread here in 2013, with a Tinsky Advent theme, detailing a pipe per day.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/american-smoking-pipe-company-christmas-pipes-advent-calender
It's too bad that Robin's health forces the sale. He was quite passionate about this collection, I'm sure it pains him to sell it. I remember him being a decent guy, but a tad optimistic in this sale.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Range? $50 to $10,000! Average? Median? A new one from an established but not revered (or dead) carver I'd GUESS is around $400.
Thank God I am not a fan of most of Mr. Tinsky's creations....Thinking a new car for wifey instead of that collection!
s-l1600.jpg

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
Awesome pipes at a I don't want to sell this price. Appeasing the better half?

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Other than John Hayes, I think that Robin is the only other person to have the entire Christmas Pipe Collection. When he came to shows and displayed them, he would be offered outrageous amounts for them. Who knows, maybe he will get what he is asking for. I wish him the best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.