PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I went home to Columbus, Ohio in July of this year. A good friend asked me to be the best man in his wedding. I had been home previously in May for a family reunion, but was not able to make it to the Tinderbox. Anyways there is a really nice little store in Dublin, Ohio which is a Columbus suburb close to my mother's house. I stopped in the store and bought some cigars for the reception ad picked up a few tins of Tobacco. Among them were Dark Star, Penzance, and this Tinder box blend which is made by McClelland specifically for Tiderbox.
Upon opening the tin it is immediately evident that the tobacco is cased or topped. To me it smells of butterscothch, and vanilla. I am not a huge fan of aros, but supposedly this blend is their best seller. I am always enticed by the smell of aromatic tobacco. It reminds me of my grandfather kicking back in his green chair, and the allure that he created while smoking. In all honesty, and to the credit of good tobaccos I can't smoke, I'll have to admit I almost always do not like aros.
I happen to have a friend who works at a Tinderbox who told me more specifically that it is their best selling tinned tobacco, so I'll suffice it to say other people like it and buy it. I am not much for hearsay, and I don't want to puff it up before I smoke it:), but I bought this knowing what it was, and I am excited to smoke it even if I get let down by my palette.
The tobacco is mostly ribbon cut with some pieces of what looks to be broken flake that has been partially rubbed out. Mostly dark brown to almost black accented with some tan strips that are slightly leafier. The smell of the Virginias are definitely perceptible through the waves of butterscotch.
To be continued (saving my progress)......

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I'll be smoking this out of a full bent Savinelli Natural. For the price these are excellent pipes by the way.
1928 packed easily. I have not dried it out or prepared it in any way. I opened the tin at the start of this review, and I'll be writing as I smoke. If I have a bad experience I'll update the review as I smoke through the tin. I move all my tinned tobaccos to mason jars within a day or so.
I like to light my pipes with store bought kitchen matches or butane lighters. Today I will be using a match. The tobacco took to the first match well, and I doubt I'll have much trouble keeping it lit. In fact it does not require a second match after my tamp. It is off to the races.....
My first impressions are that the casings/ toppings are coming through in a good way. In fact I would say the tin note is misleading only in that it smells to be heavily aromatic while the smoke itself is only very lightly aromatic in my opinion.
I usually expect a burning tongue and sour taste with aros, and this one gives me nothing of the sort.
The taste to me is nutty and smooth with a vanilla creamy background. I can still detect the butterscotch flavor way in the back seat. As I progress through the first 1/4 of the bowl it is becoming sweet on my tongue. Definitely a very smooth mild smoke.
Although my senses may be a little impaired because I am doing the smoking here I would venture to this has a pleasing room note (Captain Black).
My pipe is gurgling rather heavily; however, I usually have to smoke a few bowls of a tobacco out this particular pipe before I get the right groove. Slowing down has already made it subside for the most part.
This is a good smoke. For a guy who usually runs away from aromatics that is saying something. I won't be hoarding it, but I could see myself smoking this when I am around folks who don't enjoy most tobacco smokes/ smells. If 1928 were a wine it would be a "crowd-pleaser". I'll bet you a shiny new dime grandpa would have smoke it.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Pic1

2011-10-12_15-25-27_8941-600x337.jpg

Pic2

pic2-600x337.jpg

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Good review! I'll be interested in your observations as your progress thru the tin?

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Man as soon as I started smoking a pipe, the Tinder Box store near me closed and now the closest one is the one you are talking about. When the wife and I go and visit family in Mt. Sterling, I will have to go to dublin and pick some up. Sounds good to me. Nice review.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
This is one of my favorites. I thought the tin scent was more chocolate than anything else, though nowhere near as potent as say, Holiday Spirit. It's the tobacco I like to alternate between the Balkans I smoke all the time.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
When the wife and I go and visit family in Mt. Sterling, I will have to go to dublin and pick some up.
Small world.... Apparently the old man with the long white beard(God forgive me) in the Dublin store invented the 1928 Reserve blend. I was told by the owner of a cigar shop in Shawnee Hills, Ohio that the man mentioned is a "famous" pipe smoker. I wish I new the gentleman's name. Anyways I talked to him, ad he was very knowledgeable, and stocked quite a few hard to find tins.
Seems like most places that sell tinned pipe tobacco that I have been to do not have staff that know anything about what is in the tins. They are usually much more knowledgeable about the cigars. So to talk with someone that actually invented a blend that came in a tin was a surprise to say the least.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Indeed sir, indeed. And for me, that sucks b/c i am not a cigar fan at all. Funny thing, me and a couple of buddies recently converted a cigar smoker to a pipe smoker. He couldn't believe the savings.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Thanks,that review was an enjoyable read. I like aros, sounds like a winner!

giospro

Lurker
Apr 14, 2009
Salt Lake City, Ut
I buy most of my pipe tobacoo from tinder box the closest store by me but I've never tried the reserve 1928 for some reason (I'm a North Sea fan) I'll have to try it now.

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
I smoked a tin of this once and found it to be a good blend. It kind of resides somewhere between an aromatic and Danish blend. I may have to get another tin. Thanks for the review.

Status
Not open for further replies.