PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
Not really Vs. At two of the local shops a couple of the clerks have told me that Bulk is every day and Tins are like candy just every now and again.. any one ever heard this?

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
I get what they're saying and in my case it's true I buy my everyday smoke in bulk and my once and a while smoke in tins. :puffy:

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
^^^^^^^

Wow........ Over 1,000 tins Foggy? That is quite an accomplishment. That is absolutely mindblowing. I'm at about 30-40, and quite shocked to have that many.

B

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There isn't really a rule of thumb, but I do fall into bulks for every day and tins for a treat. Usually once I crack the tin that's about all I smoke for a week or two until the tin is gone.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
1,000 tins, assuming 50gr. size, @ ~1/week comes to 19yrs., 3 months worth of smoking.

Will you live that long, Foggy? :lol: (I'm guilty of the same sort of overstocking too, tho nowhere near that much.)
I have several blends in bulk that definitely are not everyday smokes. So I don't think the adage obtains.

It does make sense, of course, to buy your everyday smokes in bulk.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Of course, that certainly isn't a blanket statement -- many puffers buy what they like, bulk and tins.
For sure - a lot of my faves are not available in bulk. I do smoke some bulks, but I would rather smoke what I enjoy the most and pay a little more.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I started buying bulk so that I could "sample" inexpensively. If I come across something I really don't care for I can give it to a friend and not feel like I shouldn't have bought it in the first place.
I do consider my tins "good" to be broken out for special company and occasions. My problem? So many to try and so little time.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
More than 80% of my cellar of 200+ lbs. is bulk. But I do have an appreciable number of tins. About a hundred now. Mainly London Mixture, Nightcap, EMP, Balkan Sasieni, and Escudo, and a case of 24 one pound Westminster tins. Oh, and a bunch of Virginia Woods tins. I'm set methinks.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
In my 7 years of smoking, I've purchased 4 oz of bulk tobacco...
Tins Everyday.
Tins for treats :)
Currently, I have 6 open tins, and 24 in the cellar.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Most of my favorites only come in tins so that is what I smoke most of the time. I do stock 5 bulks but all of those are at the higher end of the price scale, so I do not save that much.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Most of my favorites only come in tins so that is what I smoke most of the time
Although my cellar pales in comparison to some of the above mentioned, this is a common occurrence for me as well.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I smoke all tins since the selection is so much better. Unfortunately, my favorite blends do not come in bulk. I wish at least some, even one, of my favorites came in bulk so that I could save some money.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Bulk is usually a lot cheaper so most of my cellar is made up of bulk.
I've been trying to prepare for the steep rise in tobacco prices and the most affordable way to do that is to stock up on bulk and jar it. I have a small number of tins, but if one is short on funds and wants to have some on hand before it becomes too expensive, bulk is a fine way to go.

Aug 1, 2012
My cellar and current smoking stock is 3/4 tins and 1/4 bulk. If you count the bags of Esoterica blends as bulk (instead of tins as I consider them), that changes to about 1/2 for each.

Aug 14, 2012
Pipebow & Cortezattic: I had someone come and inventory and date the cans for me. She got over 900, but we forgot to count the cabinet where I keep the cans to be used next That has over 100 cans. Many of the cans are the double size. Will I live that long? Very unlikely, and if I do, I will probably forget I smoke a pipe and will wonder what all the cans are about and who they belong to. But tastes keep changing. I might run out of Bombay Court, my current favorite. Might have to get more. Crazy? Who, me? I was thinking of getting an Indian Chief motorcycle to ride around the back yard. My wife, who has some psychological training says I am crazy, just from counting the pipes. Then she says she will fix up a tobacco cellar in the basement of the house we will get.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
That is really incredible. Over the time to acquire those I'm sure there is great age there already, plus more to age over the years. I think that's the main reason I want a lot cellared. Is so years down the line I have a lot of vintage tobacco to smoke.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.