PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriarsAndBottles

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Hello. Steve had a tin of a McClelland blend I’ve never heard of yesterday. Interesting thing was that it was a 50g tin with 100g of Tobacco. Why isn’t this done more often? It also looked to be a sliced twist which I’ve also never seen from McClelland.

Slices, coins, and plugs are much denser than ribbon cut, so it is easier to get them to fit into a 50g tin with a tad bit of room to spare. However, you cannot get more than 50g of ribbon to fit into them; thus, it is not done more often. I hope that helps.

Why some brands chose to put a tiny 100g plug into a huge 100g tin... I can't say. Maybe for marketing purposes. Some guys buy with their eyes, instead of reading the weights... maybe.

Jun 23, 2019
The McNiels were probably as close to a true 'mom and pop' shop as you can get. They used to make a lot of custom blends for larger tobacconists all the way down to individuals; they also made a lot of 'one off' blends for pipe shows and special occasions.

Post of pictures if you can! I'm always curious to see their tin art and tobacco textures.

BriarsAndBottles

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Slices, coins, and plugs are much denser than ribbon cut, so it is easier to get them to fit into a 50g tin with a tad bit of room to spare. However, you cannot get more than 50g of ribbon to fit into them; thus, it is not done more often. I hope that helps.

Why some brands chose to put a tiny 100g plug into a huge 100g tin... I can't say. Maybe for marketing purposes. Some guys buy with their eyes, instead of reading the weights... maybe.
Thanks Cosmic. Makes sense to me. That’s why I buy underwear thats oversized, kidding. Wondering why McClelland never did that with any of their flakes, did they ever make a plug or other twists?

Thanks Cosmic. Makes sense to me. That’s why I buy underwear thats oversized, kidding. Wondering why McClelland never did that with any of their flakes, did they ever make a plug or other twists?
McClelland was famous for the broken flake. They never really had a clean flake like SG or one of the European flakes. They had a couple of sliced coins (probably for special events or orders), but that wasn't really their gig. I don't remember any plugs.

BriarsAndBottles

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
The McNiels were probably as close to a true 'mom and pop' shop as you can get. They used to make a lot of custom blends for larger tobacconists all the way down to individuals; they also made a lot of 'one off' blends for pipe shows and special occasions.

Post of pictures if you can! I'm always curious to see their tin art and tobacco textures.
Hey Lukas. Here’s a link to the listing: Levin Pipes International London Danish Twist 100g tin - Year 1994 & Made by McClelland's - https://www.pipestud.com/product/tobacco-tins/levin-pipes-international-london-danish-twist-100g-tin-year-1994-made-by-mcclellands/ Unfortunately I waffled too long so no picture of the contents is coming. I should have just pulled the trigger, instead I triggered my fomo.

Steve called it London, but I compared it to McClellands Boston which uses the same font, and that doesn’t looks like an “N” so I’m inclined to think it’s Gondor which i googled is a LOTR location so that checks out.

Jun 23, 2019
Hey Lukas. Here’s a link to the listing: Levin Pipes International London Danish Twist 100g tin - Year 1994 & Made by McClelland's - https://www.pipestud.com/product/tobacco-tins/levin-pipes-international-london-danish-twist-100g-tin-year-1994-made-by-mcclellands/ Unfortunately I waffled too long so no picture of the contents is coming. I should have just pulled the trigger, instead I triggered my fomo.

Steve called it London, but I compared it to McClellands Boston which uses the same font, and that doesn’t looks like an “N” so I’m inclined to think it’s Gondor which i googled is a LOTR location so that checks out.

Yeah, that's a pretty clearly labeled "Gondor" to my eye too. Never heard of it, but given the name probably a vaper+cavendish coin if I had to venture a guess.

Reactions: BriarsAndBottles

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Guys, and yes, it is Gondor and not London. As most of you LOTR fans know, Gondor was the prominent kingdom of men in Middle Earth. Unfortunately, I did not have that confirmed by publishing time. I guess because my 70th birthday is in a couple of weeks, I can only site poor eyesight and old age as my excuse for thinking the writing said London instead of Gondor. I hope the buyer enjoys whatever the heck is in that blend.

Steve

BriarsAndBottles

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Howdy Guys, and yes, it is Gondor and not London. As most of you LOTR fans know, Gondor was the prominent kingdom of men in Middle Earth. Unfortunately, I did not have that confirmed by publishing time. I guess because my 70th birthday is in a couple of weeks, I can only site poor eyesight and old age as my excuse for thinking the writing said London instead of Gondor. I hope the buyer enjoys whatever the heck is in that blend.

Steve
Thanks for chiming in Steve! Have you ever seen anything like it before? This would have been a nice one for my McClelland collection, wondering if they had any other sliced coins? Also wondering why they never shoved 100g of flake in a smaller tin.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy BriarsAndBottles, and no, I've never seen a Gondor tin before, and I've been selling old pipe tobacco since 2001, so it must be quite rare.

Steve