PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I don't see this brought up much so I thought I'd mention it since I think it's the cause of much disappointment and many bad reviews. Almost every single vacuum sealed tin I've ever opened goes through a (sometimes dramatic) change 3 days to a week after being opened. Anyone else notice this? The combination of slight drying and some of the toppings flashing away, as well as oxidation and the process of anaerobic fermentation shifting to aerobic fermentation all contribute to a big shift in flavors and behavior of the tobacco.
Usually, the tin note is strongest when first opened, but even if you immediately close the tin, the aroma will change significantly by the third day. The first day, the tobacco might be hot and bitey with little flavor, even if left out to dry adequately. After about 3 days the underlying flavors of the tobacco start to really come out and work with the toppings instead of against them. Even in untopped tobacco, the fermentation smells start to roll away and the natural sweetness of the leaf presents itself. So often I read where someone tried one bowl of a blend that they heard great things about, were disappointed, and "dumped the rest in the trash" without even giving it a chance to open up. Sometimes I read reviews where someone reviles in disgust that they were given a fruity aro when the description said unflavored. This fruit smell is often the byproduct of fermenting Virginia leaf and it vanishes in about a week or as soon as the tobacco is adequately dry. The subtle apricot/plum/citrus topping used by popular UK blenders is there to complement the natural fermentation aroma and give consistency from tin to tin and it usually dissipates in about the same amount of time.
So, please! Next time you pop a tin and immediately load up a bowl and put flame to it, don't be too disappointed if it seems "flat" or "like hot air" or like a "fruity aromatic". Give it a few days to a week before you even try it again. If you still feel the same way after that, pass it on to someone with different tastes (please don't dump perfectly smokable tobacco). And please, please, please don't write a review of a first impression of a newly opened tin unless you label it a first impression. Every tobacco, even bulk, benefits from some airing out time. I firmly believe reviews should only be written after you've really gotten to know a blend. Preferably after smoking a whole tin. After a few bowls, spread over a few days or weeks, at the very least. You may still hate it, and that's okay. We all have different tastes and opinions.
Thanks for taking the time to read my rant for the day.?

Rush

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I agree with your thoughts. To me the tobacco does greatly improve after a few days of being opened. That does not keep me from smoking it right away though. And yes, don't write a review until you've really gotten to know the tobacco. These guys that open a fresh tin of something they've never smoked, pack a bowl and take two puffs and start waxing on about this and that.......I just turn it off.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I think the technical term is it "turns to shit-dust"....

Cosmic coined that phrase about this same exact phenomena. Especially true when talking about older cans. They change a ton over 3 weeks.

I learned to jar ‘em quick! When I was still a rank noob I lost a fair bit of tobacco because I thought just tightening the tins back shut was the way to store them.

Oct 7, 2016
Every tobacco, even bulk, benefits from some airing out time. I firmly believe reviews should only be written after you've really gotten to know a blend. Preferably after smoking a whole tin.
I could not agree more with this. Not sure about the aerobic, anaerobic, fermentation and other rocket science statements as to why, but the conclusion is correct IMO.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I find that some blends do open up with a few days of exposure, but not all. And with really old blends, several decades of age and more, that exposure to fresh oxygen causes them to swoon and croak out. With methuselah blends, smoke 'em up. They're not going to last long.
With McClelland blends I often open a tin a couple of weeks before I smoke it so that I can air out the acetic acid by popping the lid for a minute or two every day. That allows the Virginias to shine. That was something I learned from a serious McClelland devotee who had tins going back to the beginning of the brand.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Except for Penzance. It's great right out of the gate. I don't notice much difference after a week but after that, I'm convinced the tin is designed to dehydrate its contents. Why does the world s best tobacco come in the world s crappiest tin? I've had a tin of Margate sitting outside on porch in Chicago for 4 weeks the moisture level is still good and it was 20 yesterday. I think it's Germain messing with our heads.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sound advice in the original post. To my taste, in my climate which is fairly humid, drying a blend usually improves it. I think of the square rigger sailors who spent months/years at sea and carried their tobacco in cloth drawstring bags, with the ocean air providing a humidor effect. Any drying due to the cloth bag was inconsequential.

TimothyC

Lurker
Jan 10, 2020
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I don't see this brought up much so I thought I'd mention it since I think it's the cause of much disappointment and many bad reviews. Almost every single vacuum sealed tin I've ever opened goes through a (sometimes dramatic) change 3 days to a week after being opened. Anyone else notice this? The combination of slight drying and some of the toppings flashing away, as well as oxidation and the process of anaerobic fermentation shifting to aerobic fermentation all contribute to a big shift in flavors and behavior of the tobacco.
Usually, the tin note is strongest when first opened, but even if you immediately close the tin, the aroma will change significantly by the third day. The first day, the tobacco might be hot and bitey with little flavor, even if left out to dry adequately. After about 3 days the underlying flavors of the tobacco start to really come out and work with the toppings instead of against them. Even in untopped tobacco, the fermentation smells start to roll away and the natural sweetness of the leaf presents itself. So often I read where someone tried one bowl of a blend that they heard great things about, were disappointed, and "dumped the rest in the trash" without even giving it a chance to open up. Sometimes I read reviews where someone reviles in disgust that they were given a fruity aro when the description said unflavored. This fruit smell is often the byproduct of fermenting Virginia leaf and it vanishes in about a week or as soon as the tobacco is adequately dry. The subtle apricot/plum/citrus topping used by popular UK blenders is there to complement the natural fermentation aroma and give consistency from tin to tin and it usually dissipates in about the same amount of time.
So, please! Next time you pop a tin and immediately load up a bowl and put flame to it, don't be too disappointed if it seems "flat" or "like hot air" or like a "fruity aromatic". Give it a few days to a week before you even try it again. If you still feel the same way after that, pass it on to someone with different tastes (please don't dump perfectly smokable tobacco). And please, please, please don't write a review of a first impression of a newly opened tin unless you label it a first impression. Every tobacco, even bulk, benefits from some airing out time. I firmly believe reviews should only be written after you've really gotten to know a blend. Preferably after smoking a whole tin. After a few bowls, spread over a few days or weeks, at the very least. You may still hate it, and that's okay. We all have different tastes and opinions.
Thanks for taking the time to read my rant for the day.?

Rush
Thank you for a thoughtful post (rant). I am just getting back into pipe smoking after being away from it for 25 years. I have smoked cigars, however, for many years. Any tips on a good starter tobacco? What about pipe filters? I stopped smoking pipes because my tongue always seemed sore. I love the aroma of pipe tobacco and would like to enjoy it as much and as long as possible. Perhaps being young and without any couching or forums like this one, I can avoid any pitfalls.
Thanks in advance.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Good post @rushx9 !
I find this to be generally true, however there are some stinker tobaccos that are worthy of a dump. But these are few and far between. I’ve seen the reviews of which you speak and you’re right. “I cracked open this brand new tin, jammed it in my pipe without any patience, and now can’t tell why it doesn’t taste amazing like others think”. Definitely give tobaccos a few tries, especially over a time period. Some tobaccos can even take longer... some up to a very long time. I also usually try a few pipes because it might smoke much better or be a totally different experience in a different pipe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The reviewers that insist it just taste like hot air no FLAVUR are part of the reason that I think we need to start some rating system for reviewers. Example if that same person reviews a restaurant we could give them a low rating and explain they don't know how to review or consume things properly. Or like that classic 1 star review I saw about a restaurant which the guy said the service was great and the food was awesome but he got dumped and that was bad. That guy would get the 1 star doesn't know how reviews work rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.