Time To Get Serious About Smoking; Brisket Fat Side Up Or Down?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Up or Down?

• Up

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • Down

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • mmmmmm, Brisket!!!!!

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Brisket is horrible and I hate life itself.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
It's bacon...what can go wrong?

tenor.gif

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Here are my results/thoughts:

I started with an 11.25 Lb brisket from Sam's Club. At $34 for the whole thing this cost me about the same as a 5-6 Lb already trimmed brisket from the grocery store and I had about a dozen adults and a couple of kids to feed. I easily trimmed a Lb of fat off, maybe 2 Lbs.

I doubled Myron Mixon's rub recipe quantities. (For those reading that don't know Myron Mixon is an 11 time national BBQ champion.) In hindsight I think this was too much. It was either that or the bacon on top of/in contact with the meat that I could notice the salt. I think I'm a little sensitive to certain things after my stomach surgery a few years ago since everyone else raved about it. Only one other person sai anything and that was only after I mentioned it. A kind of "now that you mention it" thing. Still wasn't too salty; I just think I can do better.

The rub recipe:

1/2 Cup Kosher Salt
2 Tablespoons Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Granulated Dried Onion
1/2 Teaspoon Chipotle Pepper Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Chile Powder

As stated I doubled that. Also I subbed achiote powder for the chipotle powder which seemed to work well.

The brisket was allowed to come up to room temperature before placing in smoker. Once at room temperature and rubbed with seasoning the brisket and bacon was place in a Masterbuilt electric smoker over a mix of 50/50 apple/cherry wood chips. I set the temperature to 225 F, the time for 4 hours, and left to do some off roading with family and friends. The brisket was fat side down, or towards the heat.

We returned probably just over 5 hours later. The smoker had turned off and the brisket was reading an internal temperature of 155 F.

Here's where I get lazy. I probably should have wrapped the brisket in foil or butcher paper and the proceeded. As it was, I was working on my second Bourbon and anxious to hop in the pool so I just cranked the temp up to 245F and removed the brisket when it hit an internal tamp of 180 F. It was removed from the smoker, placed on a baking sheet, covered in foil, and let site for about 30 minutes.

Upon slicing the thinner end (about 1.5-2" thick) was still moist but dry for what I think a brisket should be. The thicker end (closer to 4" thick) was spot on moist. Both ends were tasty as heck though. This is where, I think, wrapping at 150 F and then continuing on to 180F (plus a longer rest) would help the moisture levels. Next time I'll give it a shot.

Also, I think the liquid in the drip pan prevents a proper bark from forming but I can't be sure. Maybe less liquid next time so it steams for only the first half of the cooking time?

All in all it was a good improvement from what I had been doing. Now I just need to work on evening out the moisture and developing a presentation quality bark. The flavor was definitely there.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I guess the best suggestion I could make would be for you to decide what you want for a finished product then, prepare and cook for that result.
This exactly. I'm close to flavor, tenderness, and moisture but I want to tweak them a bit more to my liking. After that I might work on presentation (bark and smoke ring) but it won't be a true necessity as I'm never going to compete. I nice just to be able to make something family and friends really seem to enjoy.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I wouldn't argue with the results you're getting if you like them. The conventional wisdom is to wait till the stall is over, typically in the high 160's, then wrap and put back in smoker or oven. A brisket is done when it's done, but that is also typically 203 +/- for most folks. Again, just food for thought.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
So I did another brisket this past weekend. I didn't wrap this one either but I went with a extra 20 degrees on the cooking temperature and let it come to a slightly higher internal temperature. Also less bacon on top.

It turned out a little drier (on the thin end) but a little less tough (rather than saying more tender). Also not as salty.

I'm going to try wrapping the next one to see if it helps with the moisture. Also less bacon or adjusting the rub recipe helped with the salt flavor.

Getting real close to where I want to be. Still didn't get a good visible smoke ring but had a great smoke flavor.

I'm actually really happy for just some backyard amateur with an electric smoker and no experience.

Reactions: kg.legat0
C

carolinasmokes

Being born and raised in southwest Louisiana my family always smoked brisket fat side up. That's the same way I smoke it up here in North Carolina.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I’ve always cooked Fat side DOWN. Most fat is trimmed off the brisket before I cook anyway, it’s not gonna provide anything but a nice bark. I cook at 230 (I adjust my vents), At around the 155 degree point it’ll stall out for awhile, once I hit 180, I take it and wrap in foil and cook to 200. (Don’t change orientation of the meat, or the juices will soggy out that bark). I then remove and rest it until the juices settle. Usually takes a beer or two ? Remove And slice.

Reactions: shanez
Status
Not open for further replies.