Time To Get Serious About Smoking; Brisket Fat Side Up Or Down?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Up or Down?

• Up

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • Down

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • mmmmmm, Brisket!!!!!

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Brisket is horrible and I hate life itself.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I make a somewhat reasonable smoked brisket. To be honest though, while it's good served traditionally, it is really good when cooled, thin sliced on a deli slicer, and made into sammiches.

So in the never ending quest of improvement I've been researching recipes. Said research turns up the usual differences of opinion which, in my opinion, are a matter of preference. Thinks like species of wood chips, rub mix, etc.

One surprising thing I found was, on occasion, some say the initial smoke should be fat side up while others say fat side down.

So what say you, fat side up or fat side down?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I want the fat flavoring the meat so, top side. I also want the fat dripping into the sizzling hot drip pan when smoking, steaming up and back into the meat. I serve brisket "Texas" style. I want it fall apart tender, hard to slice and served with a full salad which would be a simple, snappy dill pickle. Maybe a bit of bread for mopping up and, absolutely no sauce to reduce the taste of a properly smoked and spiced brisket.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I make a somewhat reasonable smoked brisket. To be honest though, while it's good served traditionally, it is really good when cooled, thin sliced on a deli slicer, and made into sammiches.

So in the never ending quest of improvement I've been researching recipes. Said research turns up the usual differences of opinion which, in my opinion, are a matter of preference. Thinks like species of wood chips, rub mix, etc.

One surprising thing I found was, on occasion, some say the initial smoke should be fat side up while others say fat side down.

So what say you, fat side up or fat side down?
Trim the fat off, period; fat on that part of the steer does not improve the flavor of the meat and actually detracts from it. We aren't talking fat in a ribeye or something, we are talking fat that is next to a working muscle so trim it off. A brisket has plenty of connective tissue inside it to break down and give it flavor.

Ha ha, funny how we can all be in agreeance, but still find some aspect to bicker over. Smoking meat is a long slow process, but you are supposed to keep adding water to make steam while it cooks. I'll wager that the steam makes more a difference on the moisture of the meat over fat drippings. But yeh, putting it fat side up in a smoker seems to be the choice that makes the most sense... except removing the fat altogether.... that makes sense also, and sounds healthier.
Also, fat could hinder the absorption of the smoke. Not speaking as an expert, just a dabbler in the smokey arts.

I would add that a brisket should be basted (mop) while smoking with a flavorful liquid
I think that basting would definitely keep moisture stirred up in the smoker. But, for the last few years on the Test Kitchens show, they've been advocating against basting liquids directly on the meats. They explore the science of cooking, and say that basting doesn't add as much flavor directly to the meats as thought, and washes away many of the flavors developing from the smoke and heating process. But, not basting a turkey just seems like neglect to me, ha ha.

Reactions: JOHN72

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I interviewed Ray "Dr. BBQ" Lampe, and asked him this question. If you don't know him, he is a celebrity pit master that has won tons of BBQ competitions over a few decades, and is in the BBQ Hall of Fame. His answer was:

"It depends on your cooker. You want the fat to face the direct heat. If I'm cooking on a Big Green Egg with a deflector in between, the direct fire is coming from underneath, fat down. If I'm cooking on an offset smoker, where the fire is coming over, and over the top, I'm going to go with fat up."

Status
Not open for further replies.