PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Like so:

Last night I binge-watched episodes of a British detective TV show set in the 1960's while smoking a Dunhill pipe made in 1961 that was filled with GH & Co. tobacco and kept it lit with Swan Vesta matches.

The drink? Sips of authentic "artisan class" Old Ale from a pewter mug.

Between bowls, the snack was a white bread sandwich of Branston pickle, English cheddar, and Coleman's mustard, with a side of applesauce.

The shared experience feel---cultural "sensory-immersion-at-a-distance"---was truly fun in a surprisingly satisfying way, and the time displacement made it doubly so.

A trip to Italy will be next.

Highly recommended.

Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 6.03.58 PM.png

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Old Stock is a fine beer, and actually ages quite gracefully for a few years, especially the barrel aged iterations. Their Old Rasputin Imperial Stout is also a classic.

Nothing better than enjoying my rope tobaccos in an old pipe out at the moose camp. It’s fun when it could be 100 years ago and nothing would be different (aside from my airplane tied up along the lakeshore anyway).

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
There’s a new series called Rogue Hero’s about the formation and early days of the SAS. It’s mostly based in fact but still pretty wild at times. The main character smokes a Dunhill Canadian for most of the show. It’s definitely worth a watch.

What pipe will you be smoking for trip to Italy? I didn’t think you were much of an Italian pipe guy.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
There’s a new series called Rogue Hero’s about the formation and early days of the SAS. It’s mostly based in fact but still pretty wild at times. The main character smokes a Dunhill Canadian for most of the show. It’s definitely worth a watch.

What pipe will you be smoking for trip to Italy? I didn’t think you were much of an Italian pipe guy.

10-4 on the Rogue Hero show.

As for Italian pipes, I have a few. One Castello in particular is a deserted-island-caliber favorite.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I enjoy this sort of multi-dimensional immersion, as well.

And Old Stock is tasty with a couple years on it.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK

Colonel David Stirling.
They got the pipe right at least. Liked his dunhills the colonel did.

Shall look forward to seeing the food & drink you recommend for ‘Italian Night’. Movie wise, I’d go for one of Sophia Lorens films, one of her euro ones would be my recommendation. A night in with Sophia will be hard to beat!😍

• Love
Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That was a real themed evening. It sounds fun. I'm not sure I'd have the patience to pull it all together, but i'll keep it in mind. Usually I'm eating Italian food in a chair made in China while smoking an English blend in a Danish pipe wearing a shirt made in Vietnam and slacks made in India.

I sorely miss English or English style tea. It's supposed to be a primary cause of kidney stones. You don't want to tangle with those, but unless you are prone to them, you don't have a problem. My paternal grandfather had them, so this is likely the genetic lineage. However, I did inherit his twelve pipe round walnut rack with an amber tobacco jar, through my dad.

• Haha
Reactions: SBC and dunnyboy