PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The second race in the triple crown series will not have a triple crown winner this year because the Kentucky Derby winner will not run, but will likely be entered in the third race at Belmont in June. The Preakness is today, post time about 7 p.m. EDT and to be broadcast on NBC. Yesterday there were nine horses in the field, far different from the twenty at the Derby, and making for less traffic on the track. Epicenter, the favored horse in the Derby, that came in second, is likely to be favored in the Preakness. Another strong favorite is the one filly in the race, Secret Oath. But after Rich Strike's win at the Derby against bettors 80-1 odds, people may be playing more long shots this time. It's an excuse for a wee dram of bourbon and probably a pipe. I'd like to see the filly win, but hey, it's a horse race.

Jan 27, 2020
If you would be so kind to summarize the race here after it is finished I would be delighted to read it.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My wife Loves horse racing. She even got an app on her phone that she can bet, and then watch it right afterwards!

An external attenna came in the mail today. Now I understand why....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the Preakness Stakes, another unexpected win this time by Early Voting, with the favorite Epicenter running second, and Creative Minister third. The only filly in the race, Secret Oath, ran fourth. There was some maneuvering in traffic, but nothing that would call into question the results. The break from the gate was fast, but the pace was not nearly as fast as the Derby. The Early Voting trainer was Chad Brown, and the jockey was Jose Ortiz.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Preakness is in my neck of the woods (Baltimore, MD). A friends daughter went, with an infield ticket. It was 94 degrees in Baltimore today, that must have been miserable. Ah to be young again.

Reactions: mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The broadcast crews were complaining about the heat, but also commented that the horses didn't seem lathered or otherwise affected by the heat. At post time, the day had cooled a little, which helped.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I don't know why I watched the race but as MSO said Easy Voting won. The victory by Rich Strike in the derby really encouraged bettors to put there money on underdogs. Didn't payoff for them however.

Reactions: mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Early Voting was not a favorite, but he had 7-2 odds, so it was not a dark horse payoff. I think the jockeys played a key role in both the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness. They always do, but especially so in these two races. They made astute choices getting through traffic and in pacing the horses.

Reactions: kcghost

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
One of my neighbors, in retirement, makes a pretty good living betting the horses. Here in Maryland,we have the Charlestown WV track nearby. He won just over $80k there last year! He travels during the trifecta. At the derby, he did pretty well with the pre-races. At the track, he wandered into a private box and then was invited to stay. It was occupied by a Lord from England who had horse interests there and in Kentucky. They asked him if had placed any bets, he said yes and asked about their plans. He told them there were going to lose and suggested a different strategy. They won, as did he and he became their instant best friend. The Lord asked him if he was interested in making a trip to the Bahamas with them, where he had a home. My buddy said sure, but I would need to get a plane ticket. He said, no worries, my jet is being fueled now, we leave after the race. My friend replied that his car was here (Mercedes S-Class!). The guy says not a problem, he would have it transported to his home in Maryland and he would charter a plane to get him home. My buddy says "sure, why not!. The guy pulls him aside and points out is his wife, who hadn't really spoken my buddy. The Lord says that their are married, but not married, if he got his drift and his wife was hoping for a "companion" in the Bahamas. My buddy (60-couple, not married) then had a change of heart and said that was not his thing. He's doing some contracting work for me and just shared this amazing story. I told him that I was glad he didnt go - we might have been searching for him in a couple of weeks! What a strange occurence. I'm not sure how he did yesterday, I'll find out tomorrow.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The people who make any money betting horses have to work for every dime, both knowing all the horse genealogy and histories in former races on different track surfaces, and knowing any inside "dope" if things aren't quite on the level.

That travel offer reminded me of the adage, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. When rich folks threaten to "adopt" you, you know something won't be right. But it makes a great yarn.