PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Three things you would like to find in a car boot or garage sale.
1. A full twist Falcon Pipe

2. An original Butner reamer

3. (If only) A solid gold Falcon Pipe.
We all live in hope!

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I always stop at yard sales with the hopes of buying a 57 Les Paul off of a clueless widow. Recently, I have been looking for pipes, but no luck on either front.

May 4, 2015
Since I strike out 100% of the time when browsing thrift stores and antique malls, if I could find anything at yard sale or antique store, it would be:
1. Cast iron waffle iron

2. An old pipe that's unsmoked or even in good condition

3. Original condition old fountain pen

May 4, 2015
I always stop at yard sales with the hopes of buying a 57 Les Paul off of a clueless widow
The chances are rapidly approaching ZERO with the internet now. It's way too easy to find out the "rough" value of things, so the days of finding absolute steals are almost entirely behind us.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
It's getting harder to score the deal of a lifetime these days with all the information at peoples fingertips. I go to a lot of estate sales, and most often prices are seemingly checked on ebay etc.

Sometimes I get something cool, I got a banjo ukelele from June Carter Cash's cousins estate sale for $40. I may be the only one crazy enough to buy that though. It's no '57 Les Paul that's for sure..

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
The chances are rapidly approaching ZERO with the internet now. It's way too easy to find out the "rough" value of things, so the days of finding absolute steals are almost entirely behind us
@PipeSmokingTom So true. Everyone is an expert. I miss the days when books or experience meant something.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I normally look for
Antique fans

Fly fishing equipment

Old (but extremely well made) tools

May 4, 2015
I miss the days when books or experience meant something.
I miss the days when a pipe came in to an antique store with a mess of other things and they had no reference point to price it, so they just said "Eh, ten bucks is probably fine." Just doesn't happen any more. Pop "antique Peterson pipe" in to Google and you'll get an idea of what sticker to put on it, so even having never seen a pipe before, you won't underprice it. It's unfortunate (for us).
EVERY pipe I've found at antique stores are well over priced and in terrible shape. The last one I saw was a beat up cob for $20.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I loathe antique stores. That whole Pawn Star's mindset of 'it's old, it's mine' it must be worth a fortune' annoys me.
So Chasing Embers and BlueGrass have struck some modest gold, anyone else find any treasures?

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
@OldManSmoking Had to look that pipe up. Very unique pipe. First time I've seen a Falcon. Imagine trying to clench that solid gold one would lead to some serious jaw-fatigue. haha

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I feel like I get better values shopping the down-market series new and even looking for them on sale. This isn't the only way I shop pipes, but if I want a bargain, it's more dependable than yard sales, flea markets, or antique stores. Most have nothing. Others have old pseudo Danish freehands and such, or pipes in ratty shape. Some of the Rossi Vittoria are pretty classy at Dr. Grabow prices, and Dr. Grabow Royalton are nicely done, and I recently bought a Tsuge factory pipe from PC at $39.99, not the top of the line but definitely a Tsuge. All of these are fine smokers. I like to stroll through the occasional yard sale or flea market, but not so much for pipes.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I picked up a Rega Planar 3 turntable once for £3. It had a blown capacitor, bought said capacitor (£2.50 for a bag of 6), soldered it in then sold the deck for £130.
Once bought a huge framed had drawn map for £5, cleaned it up and sold it to the owner of the manor house that the map was about for £150.
Bargains are out there to be had!
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
1. An early Picasso priced as a corny piece of student art

2. Three Ser Jacopo's for $20 by someone who cleaned out their uncle's flat

3. A three-page personal letter signed by James Joyce with a seller who doesn't know who James Joyce was/is, for $4, for the postage stamp

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
The chances are rapidly approaching ZERO with the internet now. It's way too easy to find out the "rough" value of things, so the days of finding absolute steals are almost entirely behind us
Also with shows like Antiques Roadshow and American Pickers; everyone thinks there stuff is more valuable then it actually is. It amazes me what people's asking price is and what people will pay for stuff. Then there is the stuff that's new, and made to look antique and people want an arm and a leg for that stuff. :crazy:
As for the original post, I would like to find:

1. A late 60's early 70's Gibson SG guitar for cheap.

2. A record collection (LPs) consisting of the classic rock/metal bands of the 70's & 80's.

3. A pipe collection with high quality pipes for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.