PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Here are three different Ben Wades, hopefully illustrating the different finishes and styles of the Preben Holm freehand days. I am totally in love with this style of pipe. They display everything about a pipe I love...making a bold statement about color, wood grain, carving skill...sorry to gush, but I just can't help it.
First pipe is a Golden Walnut.
gw1Medium.jpg

All these pipes are rather large, close to seven inches in length.
Here is a close up showing the briar's grain pattern on the bowl.
gw2Medium.jpg

Second pipe is a Monte Verdi.
mv1Medium.jpg

Beautiful blast work on the bowl. This particular pipe has a smokey black and silver acrylic stem.
mv2Medium.jpg

Third pipe is a Heather.
heather1Medium.jpg

Again, beautiful grain on the bowl and a nice red tint to the stain.
heather2Medium.jpg

I really lack any photo skills. I don't think direct sunlight is a good source for pictures...too much shine. I'll try some indirect lighting next.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mike, those are great examples of Preben Holm's Ben Wade era! I think Lane Ltd. owned the B.W. name and let Preben Holm use it because Holm had a contract beef with Snug Harbor distributors. ...or something like that... Nice, nice pipes. (I think the Monte Verdi is hard to find these days.)

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Thanks guys.
Cortez - You have the basic story right. Apparently, a meeting between Holm and Lane resulted in the Ben Wade freehands/Preben Holm partnership when Snug Harbor backed out.
By and large, these pipes are well engineered, besides being gorgeous.
I really wish I'd wrote on a slip of paper what purchase prices were. Memory fades, but both the Heather and Monte Verdi aren't encountered all that often. I wish I'd have bought a Hallmark grade pipe or a Nobel Prize grade back in the day.
The Golden Walnuts are my favorites.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
That heather makes me go all warm inside. Which reminds me that I need a nice freehand. And a nice meer. And a Peterson. And a...oh God so much.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The Ben Wade name has undergone yet another incarnation, this time
Resurrected in 1998 by Duncan Briars (another great British pipe family), the drilling and finishing standards of Ben Wade handmade pipes are at the level of more expensive pipes; the bowls are carved at the same pipe factory in London, England, where Dunhills are made.

I got this one for $76, and it's a really nice smoker, though it took a while to settle-in.

BenWadeOvationPipe02S.jpg

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Super pipes, nice pictures. I also really like the work of Preben, and have several pipes under his logo,(PH), and a couple of those made under the Ben Wade name. Great smokers.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome jcsnaps, to our fraternity.

There are a great bunch of folks here.
I have one Preben Holm pipe and it's a very comfortable and easy smoker, and a Ben Wade.

I didn't know that the Ben Wade name was from the same source as Preben Holm.
I learned something new today darn-it!
I look forward to seeing your PH's and reading your posts.

Have a go at posting in the New Members string and tell us about yourself.

Don't forget to accept those friendship requests.

We're glad to have you!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
A long time back Ben Wade was made in Leeds, England. Traditional style pipes. This is one of the names that has been shuffled from pillar to post over the years.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Thanks for the welcome pstlpkr. Now that I got the avatar to load you can see I really like Danish Freehands(and apple or blueberry).

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Nice looking Hallmark ( ? ) there at the 5:00 position.
Post up some pictures jcsnaps!
I need to get more pictures up of some more of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.