PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

de513

Lurker
Feb 15, 2021
I'm a cigar smoker making the transition to pipes. I'm wondering if I should get pipe screen to prevent ash and embers from entering my mouth. I see that some starter kits include screens while others don't. Instinct tells me that screens aren't necessary for properly packed pipes. After all, I've never had any issue with ash or embers from cigars. Tongue bite from heavy smoke isn't much a concern either as I'm used to spicy/peppery cigars.

Thanks all for your input!

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I don’t get ash or embers, but I do get the odd bit of tobacco stuck in the shank when I tamp too much. A screen would stop that, I suppose. But now I just knock it loose with a cleaner if it happens.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I have never used a screen and sort of feel that those are generally used more in the herbal department. I agree with Casual that you might very occasionally encounter a small bit of tobacco which makes its way through the stem but it is not a big problem. As for filters, you should decide for yourself. I found them annoying and, oddly, unsanitary and jettisoned them years ago.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
As from the answers already given the great majority of expert pipe smokers will tell you screens are useless and used for other smoking weeds. It is definitely true screens are not necessary to keep tobacco and ashes to go to your mouth as well as it is true in a more general way they are not necessary in properly packed bowls.
There is however one situation where screens can have a place particularly at the beginning of the voyage in pipe smoking and it is in keeping a free air chamber below the tobacco to optimize the combustion. Think like a charcoal in a barbecue, it is the same thing. With this purpose they have a place at least until you learn a proper way of packing the bowl for you.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Mar 1, 2014
The tobacco almost never burns to the draft hole, so the air is always "screened" to some extent.
You can use balls of mesh or various other things sold at outrageous prices to help eliminate Dottle, but depending on your price of tobacco the Dottle is probably cheaper.

Reactions: edger

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
I get the occasional bit of tobacco in my mouth, especially when I rub out flakes. But its not big enough of an issue for me to use a screen. I suppose you might reduce the amount of dottle left as well, but again, not significant enough to me.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Sip! Sip! Sip! Instead of sucking away when the pipe seems to be going out just put two fingers over the bowl and draw gently. This should rekindle the ember without adding the heat of a re light. Less chance of a mouthful of crap. Screens are for windows.

Mar 1, 2014
View attachment 66545
You use screens for pipes like this.
Thing is that looks like a great design for a Tobacco Pipe, it's impervious to burnouts and has a big air chamber in the stem to drop heavy particles out of your smoke.
Only problem is it's too small.

Actually the real problem is it's still a Pipe.
In the modern age Pipesmoking is fundamentally obsolete.
If you want the technically perfect tobacco smoking tool this is it: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001268898689.html
An electric atomizer will extract the absolute maximum out of tobacco every time, you even control the exact temperature in the chamber with a button.
Problem there is when you remove Briar from the equation you're left just sucking on a battery powered tube and 99% of the "Experience" is gone.
It's like riding the bus compared to driving a manual transmission.
I might take mass transportation when I absolutely need to but if I want to enjoy the drive there is no way I'll be taking the bus.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoddenJack