PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bore of the bowl or of the airway? Some opera pipes have oval bowls supposedly so they lay flatter in the pocket of your tux. Many trim pipes are flat enough not to require an elongated chamber. I've not encountered an oval bore airway.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’m assuming you’re talking about the chamber. Seems like it’d be a nuisance to me, as far as cleaning and lighting, but I’ve never had an opera or any other pocket pipe, so I’m not sure. It doesn’t jump out at me as anything I’d feel the urge to buy, though.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Bore of the bowl or of the airway? Some opera pipes have oval bowls supposedly so they lay flatter in the pocket of your tux. Many trim pipes are flat enough not to require an elongated chamber. I've not encountered an oval bore airway.
My pipe has oval bore of bowl, seems like I read somewhere that they do not smoke well but found this pipe is great. Requires frequent tamping but when done far in front it keeps a nice open airway.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I have a Savinelli with an oval chamber. The issue with mine is it's very narrow at the front and heel curves, some tampers don't fit. Check tool just barely does, nail does not, also kind of a pain to use a finger for the same reason.

Smokes fine though.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the pipe smokes well, it's no issue. However, I do not see the utility of the oval bowl. I think those kinds of features were more important when tobacco pipes were a significant industry and pipe makers were competing to offer the specialized and unusual. Now I suspect many opera goers don't get that dressed up, and how flat a pipe lies under their clothing is hardly of concern. People show up at funerals today in shorts and open collars. But it is a nice curiosity.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I had a birth year dunhill and a Castello with oval bores. Couldn’t warm up to either. It’s a small sample, granted, but I don’t have them anymore.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Not sure how long it's been since pipes were bored with straight bore. I know even back in 80s bagpipes drones weren't very straight or round. If it's regarding chamber, I guess the pipe maker might had one too many the night before and call it opera pipe x)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Agree on an oval bore in the airway- never seen one.

For the other type of oval bore, if he asked me, I would advise better diet and perhaps traveling to somewhere highly unusual, and then talk about it. Sparingly.

• Haha
Reactions: captainsousie
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I can't imagine an oval airway bore, that could be a nightmare. Not sure why one would depend the additional effort to bore out the bowl chamber an oval shape. Aside from being unique I can't see any advantages and a number of potential disadvantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.