PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Oh man I feel like an idiot. The acetone must have been going straight to my head. All this time I’ve been applying it to a cloth and then rubbing vigorously. Turns out if you just put the damp cloth on the section you wish to remove and leave it for 5-15mins, the lacquer lifts right off. Then it’s a quick rub down and move onto the next section.

Suffice to say I’m all done. There’s a few more bits I might tackle in time, but I really want to put this pipe back into rotation so I’m happy with where it’s at for now.

In hindsight, this really was only an hour or so worth of work, the perfect thing to do over a rainy weekend where you can pick the pipe up and down and remove a bit here and there.

B6A87FA9-99AB-4DCE-8759-41A8F241F333.jpeg17C7C43F-ECD6-479D-AF1A-CA8D0E8AE355.jpeg8E6A91E5-4BCF-40A3-8132-AA5DAE751FFA.jpeg8B764261-71DD-41D1-89E4-666414C504F4.jpeg

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Oh man I feel like an idiot. The acetone must have been going straight to my head. All this time I’ve been applying it to a cloth and then rubbing vigorously. Turns out if you just put the damp cloth on the section you wish to remove and leave it for 5-15mins, the lacquer lifts right off. Then it’s a quick rub down and move onto the next section.

Suffice to say I’m all done. There’s a few more bits I might tackle in time, but I really want to put this pipe back into rotation so I’m happy with where it’s at for now.

In hindsight, this really was only an hour or so worth of work, the perfect thing to do over a rainy weekend where you can pick the pipe up and down and remove a bit here and there.

View attachment 141344View attachment 141345View attachment 141346View attachment 141347
You managed to bring out some beautiful calcified Birdseye on those flanks and some nice vertical grain. Excellent job, and a huge improvement!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That looks better to me. I expected it to strip down past the black stain, but taking off the gloss is enough of an improvement. I was going to advise you to do the Acetone outdoors to get good air circulation and less inhaled Acetone. It's pretty awful stuff. You seem to have survived. I think that pipe will age nicely as-is. Happy smoking.