PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
I just received my beautiful new boswell pipe and really like the way it smokes, thinking about getting my first churchwarden from them. Anyone have one and if so how do you like it?

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I have three of J.M.'s pipes. One is a churchwarden. It's a freehand, like most of his pipes, with a rusticated front (which I don't particularly like but I make an exception in this case) and some very nice flame grain on the rest of the bowl and the shank.
The bowl is small by anyone's standards; it's positively tiny in comparison to most of J.M.'s pipes.
The mouthpiece is vulcanite, and very well executed.
All in all, it's a lovely pipe I enjoy about once a week. It's an excellent smoker for flakes. I will say it's my least favorite of the three I have, but that may be because of the shape (I think I prefer shorter-stemmed pipes), but that's not to say I wish I didn't have it - I'd recommend it to anyone in the market for a churchwarden.
Hope this helps, and happy puffing.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Don't have a Boswell churchwarden but I have several of their pipes. I think you get a lot of pipe for the money with Boswell. I don't think you can go wrong purchasing from them.

Jul 12, 2011
+1 on a lot for your money with Boswell pipes. I don't have a CW,

but I do have 5 of them ;-) 2-shot shell/ bent rusticated eggs, 1-

Spiral, 1-Bent rusticated volcano and 1-Rusticated OP.

Jul 12, 2011
NICE! I love the two shot shell models I have, one for English blends, other for Vs
This one is by far one of my "best" smoking pipes, and smokes English blends like no other... :puffy:

photo-17-600x448.jpg

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
juptier: you are lucky to get that pipe! I saw it, thought for a moment and by the time I got back, it was gone.
I have five Boswells. J.M. makes a great pipe. Or as his son, Dan, told me, "this is a lot of pipe for not much money." And he's right.
The Boswells that I have are some of the very best smokers I own in a 100-pipe-plus collection. My collection includes Dunhills, Ashtons, Barlings, Astleys, Charatans, Ser Jopaco, Petes, Savinellis and the Boswells will match any of those day in and day out.
You done good. And, try some of J.M.'s handblended tobacs. They won't knock your socks off, but you can smoke 'em all day, every day.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
Tennsmoker: I was very lucky to get my pipe! I didn't realize how fast they sell I called a hundred times before I could get through and that was seconds after they went up for sale! When I got the pipe I also ordered there Pennsylvania Dutch treat,strawberry cream and North Woods and love all three! Getting more into the englishes now unless I'm indoors then it's the aros so I don't here anything from the boss.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Rediculous pipe at a rediculous price,congradulations to you and to Mr. Boswell, that is a true work of art.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
This one [...] smokes English blends like no other...
My CW and bent billiard are both small pipes - wonderful for flakes. I haven't ventured into his larger pipes, not to mention Grizzly territory - they look like they'd be uncomfortable in the mouth, although I saw J.M. clenching one in his shop one afternoon several years ago. He looked a little like a boy with his daddy's pipe. Great big clouds of aro smoke, though.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
I was thinking about those grizzlies and it would be nice to have one about the size of a baseball, keep your hand nice and cool but like you said not sure how comfortable the clinch would be. I'm keeping this one just for aros and my next one for the English

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
finally figured out how to post pictures in the forms,Can not be done with a Ipad... had to pull out the good ole laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.