PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I sent in a pipe to sp to trade for store credit. Thinking of using the credit to purchase my first meer. Does anyone have any info on akb vs imp? I don't really want to buy a "good enough" pipe that will leave me wanting something better down the road. I'm also not looking for a high end artisan or Dunhill level. Peterson is is great to me. Would you say AKB is on par with Peterson/Savinelli (great smokers with nice fit and finish) or it is more of a grabow of meers? (great smokers with something left to be desired in fit and finish)

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Reactions: karam

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I started with an AKB. It was exactly a “good enough” meer that let me experiment and figure out if I liked the material enough. Then I went and got 4 Altinays, and I will likely give the AKB away someday.

The AKB I got was about $90. It was smallish, had thin walls, a poorly cut stem, and one of those standard tenon inserts that are a bit too restricted for me. Good enough to experiment.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
The AKB I got was about $90. It was smallish, had thin walls, a poorly cut stem, and one of those standard tenon inserts that are a bit too restricted for me. Good enough to experiment.
My only meerschaum is a hobby block I carved, but it has that plastic screw-in mortise piece with the Teflon tenon on the stem. Its draw was tight, caused steam, and it gurgled. I opened the stem and the stummel up with some careful slow drilling, and funneled the airway at the button. Made a world of difference.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I used to have one of their claws. Draw was bad but it was coloring well.

20180930_184036.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.