PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

visualmemory

Lurker
Sep 22, 2022
Title edited for brevity and hopefully clarity.

Original- So apparently (contrary to popular beliefs), (just a little) cellaring might improve an aromatic blend (and "spoil" a non aromatic one)

Ok, maybe a little misleading title. So I bought a tin of Devi's Holliday just for the kicks. Straight of the tin it was, well, I would say "interesting". More tutti-frutti, shisha, gummy bears thing. Two months in jar (many would say it's more of tobbaco getting air than "proper" cellaring), boom, totally different beast. The topping doesn't seem to "diminish", I would say it seems more "melded", like topping "soaked" the tobacco and now it tastes like topping and tobacco tastes are one thing. For me it improved this blend.

On the other side I've got Mc Conell's Convent Garden (which I was told was their wersion of Nightcap). Fresh of the tin it got few rought sides, but I would say it was good and was very "dimensional", like I could taste virginia, I could taste zing of orientals and (proablly to much) pepperines of perique. So here comes the summer, I forgot about about half a jar of Covent Garden. Now I opened the jar and I would say It become flat tasting english mixture. I wouldn't say the latakia diminished, rather orientals and perique are completely gone. Is more mellow but I can taste only virginia and latakia. It's less interesting and fells flat. For me jar time spoiled this blend.

FYI both smoked in same dedicated cobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't really call something less than a year old "aged." But, yes, we all have heard that the latakia becomes smoother, and this is what I love about an aged latakia blend. But, I don't pop a tin of an English till it has had 5-10 years.
Perique causes different types of fermentations, but yeh, that peppery heat is from fresh perique.

If you just prefer aromatics, good for you. Set back tons of those things you love.

visualmemory

Lurker
Sep 22, 2022
To be honest. I don't. I just bought it to try something different. Fresh from the tin it was unbareable (but "interesting" in way hot air tasting like fuit candy). Now, after short time in the jar it tastes like fruity tobacco, good for something different.

So we are talking about keeping tobacco for some short time off the tin in the jar. I don't have a proper word to name this.

I would say that that latakia blend with perique and orientals (after short time in a jar) become no perique, to orientals latakia blend. I know sometimes perique become tasting not peppery and more of fruit, figs ect. and if I remember good I got long time ago Cabbies of Gawitth tasting like that, but for a longer time when score a blend with perique I got peppery tasting one. It this case it was like this.

visualmemory

Lurker
Sep 22, 2022
Talking about perique and Gawitth's Cabies, last time I got one I scored a vinegar bomb (and last time with this blend), so maybe some changes in recipes.

Sorry, citing on this forum is acting weird for me, so maybe I'll do it like this:

I’m just here waiting for “title edited for brevity”. Carry on.

Go on I just found it little funny to form it like this.

Everyone has different idea of what "good" is. You might want to avoid cellaring and just smoke off the tin.

You are right, but the topic is defferent. It's about like little time in jar can change the tobacco, for better or worse.

How long have you been smoking English blends? Some of us experienced a condition where we used to enjoy them then suddenly the latakia overpowered the rest of the blend's components.

Can't really answer that question. Maybe best answer is for like four years I'm on and off pipe smoking, then I'm stoking some blends, then for some time I'm off pipe smoking. The same is for English blends, when I've got taste for one I buy tin or tins. Last time I was smoking this blend was like maybe early spring, then maybe once in summer. So I think In this case isn't that i got latakia overload.
Ok, maybe I'll explain this like that. From me pipe is part of sitting on a bench in the park in the sun and getting some smoke, usually reading a book, relax time. I'm strictly outdoor smoker so If it's too cold or the weather is off it's my off pipe season.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Ok, maybe a little misleading title. So I bought a tin of Devi's Holliday just for the kicks. Straight of the tin it was, well, I would say "interesting". More tutti-frutti, shisha, gummy bears thing. Two months in jar (many would say it's more of tobbaco getting air than "proper" cellaring), boom, totally different beast. The topping doesn't seem to "diminish", I would say it seems more "melded", like topping "soaked" the tobacco and now it tastes like topping and tobacco tastes are one thing. For me it improved this blend.

On the other side I've got Mc Conell's Convent Garden (which I was told was their wersion of Nightcap). Fresh of the tin it got few rought sides, but I would say it was good and was very "dimensional", like I could taste virginia, I could taste zing of orientals and (proablly to much) pepperines of perique. So here comes the summer, I forgot about about half a jar of Covent Garden. Now I opened the jar and I would say It become flat tasting english mixture. I wouldn't say the latakia diminished, rather orientals and perique are completely gone. Is more mellow but I can taste only virginia and latakia. It's less interesting and fells flat. For me jar time spoiled this blend.

I first discovered what you are talking about with aros with Sunset Breeze from Peterson. It bite like a dog that understands English and has trust issues being wrestled by a person talking torture. In other words it bites like it's fighting not only for it's life but even more. And it's what I call a cardboard blend, the tin says it's got Va and Burly but it might be cardboard sent through a cross cut shredder. After putting it in a jar and trying it again, still not a favorite but I finished it and got to keep my tongue. The thing is I've also found the same thing seems to happen with some blends if you pop the tin open and leave it for at least a few days. You know let it breath a bit and also dry out some. I don't know what the magic is but I know the steps to get what I like :).
I'll also add that some blends are way more temperamental then others. Some English blends I've had seem to taste different if the humidity is at a certain point and stuff like that so.....

visualmemory

Lurker
Sep 22, 2022
I think I have one funny story story regarding involuntarily "aging" tobacco and English blend. I've got a long time ago opened pouch of SG Perfection, I was smoking it from time to time but not to often, i don't remember this much, it was ok I suppose. So there was just some crumbles, like rough sand, mayby some bigger pieces at the end of pouch and it was sitting maybe like half a year and more in some tin. One day I decided to smoke it. I don't even remember if I rehydrated or not. It was one of best smoking English blend experience ever it wasn't latakia, it was cream. Pipe smoking is something so random.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
LJP Thanksgiving Day is arguably considered an aromatic and it's very meh when fresh, but super damn good after at least one year.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
When I started stashing the blends, I bought 3 tins at a time. The idea was to open one at 3rd year, 5th year and 10th year to compare them and see how they have aged. Then I realized I don't track my cache. Nor do I care to note down on the impression of a smoke session. Not to mention if I smoke a bowl a day, I'm pretty much satisfied. That all leads to my tins just sitting around the house and rarely getting opened. Now I'm thinking why I keep buying new tins.. Hmm.. I think I just ordered some this morning. Damn it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I thought you meant as a person not tobacco.
The biggest difference between 40 and 20 is when you wake up sore in your 20s you it's because of what you did yesterday. When you're in your 40s it's because of something you did when you were 20 something.
In your 20s you look at the big jar of pain medication and think who needs that. In your 40's you look at the small one and think who waste money on that?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I thought you meant as a person not tobacco.
The biggest difference between 40 and 20 is when you wake up sore in your 20s you it's because of what you did yesterday. When you're in your 40s it's because of something you did when you were 20 something.
In your 20s you look at the big jar of pain medication and think who needs that. In your 40's you look at the small one and think who waste money on that?
What do you mean wake up sore? I'll be 55 this month and I'm sore all the time. Life is simply a string of pain management spaced by coffee, alcohol and tobacco.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sorry to hear that. I am considerably older than 55, and do not have the same experience. Fortunately, CBD is widely available here.

Reactions: FLDRD

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Title edited for brevity and hopefully clarity.

Original- So apparently (contrary to popular beliefs), (just a little) cellaring might improve an aromatic blend (and "spoil" a non aromatic one)

I’ve been so lazy and busy doing other things I let a pouch of Half and Half and a pouch of Borkum Riff Cherry Liqueur bake in my hot car trunk through this brutal summer.

The BR Cherry Liqueur is bone dry, almost dust, and not as cherry candy good as a new pouch. I’ve smoked it up, and didn’t waste it, but I need to be more careful with that blend.

The Half and Half lost it’s tobacco candy bar shape new pouches have, it’s slightly drier, and good Lord oh my it’s delicious!

Time and extreme heat is a friend, to Half and Half.