PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Well it has been a while since I have been on here. Took about 2-3 years away got married within the past year. Obviously I am back here because this hobby always pulls me back in. Anyways I just want to hear what people’s thoughts are on “new” blends. Do you think they are being designed more for beginner smokers or seasoned smokers or really both? Do you feel they are being created to replace other blends we lost over the years or to duplicate unicorn blends?
Lastly what new blends have you tried in recent months in which you thought man I really enjoyed that but it’s just not my everyday rotational smoke, or tried something you just thought was terrible, or found something new for your rotation but want to keep it a secret so it’s always available....don’t worry I won’t tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
@chasingembers thats funny you say that because I believe it was the spc bourbon barrel plum pudding I made the comment it was a cash grab. I mean I can totally go buy a jar get a bourbon barrel stave and soak it in bourbon cut the stave and place it in a jar of plum pudding special reserve and claim it’s something brand new.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I believe that the new blends are all variations on existing themes, designed to do exactly what Embers said- sell as much as possible while they still can. I’ve tried a few- I really enjoy the C&D Old Ones series, the new Sutliff VA flakes designed to imitate McLelland VA’s, and the rereleased MacBaren Burley London Blend, all of which I have added substantial quantities of to my cellar.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'm not sure that these blends are last ditch anything. Certainly I have heard far more about the coming deadline from smokers than manufacturers. Does that mean they're anticipating the new requirements may be delayed/modified or something they can deal with? Dunno. I mean, I've got a cynical side too, so I suppose they cold be dropping shiny objects to a panicky customer base with the implication that you'd better buy, buy, buy, but I certainly don't know that either. I guess we'll find out.

Anyway, I try not to worry about I can't control. I am always happy to try something new! There will always be something to smoke. That said, I can't think of anything super new that I've tried recently. I still have a lot of blends that are new to me!

Jun 9, 2018
England
I don't think they're out in America yet but I've had 2 of the 3 new Gawith reunion series.
The No. 27 Perique Flake was very nice but the Bourbon Flake was delicious and is easily the tastiest whiskey flavoured tobacco I've tried so far, it'll be interesting to see how it ages. I haven't tried the final blend Brown House Roll Cut yet but it's definitely on my to do list.
We don't get many new tobacco releases in the UK apart from the Peterson special editions, it seems like something new is released weekly in the US.

Oct 7, 2016
I don't think they're out in America yet but I've had 2 of the 3 new Gawith reunion series.
The No. 27 Perique Flake was very nice but the Bourbon Flake was delicious and is easily the tastiest whiskey flavoured tobacco I've tried so far, it'll be interesting to see how it ages. I haven't tried the final blend Brown House Roll Cut yet but it's definitely on my to do list.
We don't get many new tobacco releases in the UK apart from the Peterson special editions, it seems like something new is released weekly in the US.
Doesn’t look like the two you have tried will make it over here. The illustrations I have seen show that Brown House Roll Cut is a Samuel Gawith Label, so maybe Estervals will pick that one up.,

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I definitely feel the British tobacco blends are traditional in the sense they take their time on them and really make sure they produce a good blend, not saying the US blenders don’t but I just feel like the new blends are rolling out left and right.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.