PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Looking for a new straight, unaffected billiard. Any ideas? Chachom seems to have a number of them, but don't know anything about their quality.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
You should define what you mean by unaffected. Chacom is a good brand but simple billiards are available from most manufacturers such as Stanwell, Upshall, Comoy, Ropp, Brigham, etc. Briarworks makes a nice looking robust one that's on the shorter side though they are not a nose warmer.

Last edited:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I meant unadorned by bands, other enhancements. A simple classic pipe. While here, what is the thoughts on Zulu pipes?

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
The shape is up to you, it don't bother me one bit!

I tend to smoke my Zulu's occasionally and I feel that they dont have the same appeal or are sought after if you intend to sell it later on.

Enjoy the search...and post when you find your beauty.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you like and accept factory pipes -- and I do -- handsome traditional billiards can be found in many standard brands, as someone just posted. Savinelli, Big Ben, Stanwell, BC, Genod, Chacom, and Johs all do fine versions. You can also move upscale to many fine artisan billiards. SP has a wide selection of Genod pipes from France right now at good prices. Be sure you get what you want on filter or no-filter pipes, and on finish and stem material. A good straight tapered stem billiard is a beautiful pipe.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
For the price, I’d look at getting either a Stanwell 29 or 12 depending on what you like. I love the 29 shape so much I bought it twice. The 12 is another beauty but Stanwell’s make great billiards all around, as do Savenilli. I love my Peterson Donegal Rocky but it was made in the 70’s, can’t speak for today’s production as they got a bad reputation.

Reactions: rogers

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
Looking for a new straight, unaffected billiard. Any ideas? Chachom seems to have a number of them, but don't know anything about their quality.
Chacom makes excellent pipes but their general aesthetics lean more towards modern styling. However, they still make classic styles that you may prefer in the Bayard or City lines:

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I bet the Stanwell 29 and Briarworks are good steers. I had a Stanwell 88 & a 234 that we’re good smokers. Same with the Santambrogio, I have one that’s great smoker. Brebbia makes a solid basic pipe too imo.

M

Merton

Radice makes very nice and relatively affordable billiards in its Rind line. For under $175 you can pick up a handmade and beautiful pipe with great fit and finish and, most importantly, a uncoated bowl. Cost obviously lower on the estate side.

Reactions: rogers and mikefu

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
I like the Tsuge 21 Tasting billiard, hard to do much better for the price.

Recently purchased a Jesse Jones Zulu and while not my most favorite shape, it just spoke to me for some reason and ended up being my best smoking pipe.

Attachments

• 194656e.jpg
    194656e.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 3

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I second BriarWorks as a great value (particularly if you use the coupon on their ad banner) , and also recommend Savinelli and Stanwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.