PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Picture a big yellow box of Cheerios here, a U.S. dry breakfast cereal made of oats and baked in the shape of an "O." I always thought it was interesting they picked a distinctly English expression as a name. They are made by an outfit called General Mills, and I have been addicted to them since I was a tyke, but now I boost the experience with real maple sugar. They get me with that oat flavor. Samuel Johnson said that oats were a grain fed to horses, and eaten by the Irish. I guess I inherited my grandma's taste buds.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Picture a big yellow box of Cheerios here, a U.S. dry breakfast cereal made of oats and baked in the shape of an "O." I always thought it was interesting they picked a distinctly English expression as a name. They are made by an outfit called General Mills, and I have been addicted to them since I was a tyke, but now I boost the experience with real maple sugar. They get me with that oat flavor. Samuel Johnson said that oats were a grain fed to horses, and eaten by the Irish. I guess I inherited my grandma's taste buds.
well everyone is Irish these days no matter their ancestry.

Reactions: Morrison Jeremiah

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
An Irishman once said to me.
"The reason why the Irish are simple, is so that the English can understand them."
an irish guy I knew loved this joke. "The sun never sets on the British Empire", Guess God doesn't trust the bastards either.
And yet over here many people think of the Irish as the more cute version of Brits. :)