PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Thought I was smooth with my TAD pickup today at the local B&M, as I got 5 tins of Esoterica blends.
Then I looked in the tobacco for sale/trade forum, and started crying because now I have to cellar my tins instead of smoking them.
I also need to cash in my retirement account, because clearly Esoterica is a much faster maturing, high growth investment, for which I won't even be paying any capital gains. All these years I've been a fool. A FOOL!

(I am not a finance professional, this is not advice. I just like the tobacco. TO THE MOON!)

Enjoy your score ?

Off Topic:

I generally don’t pay scalper prices on principle - Only exception I made once to buy many years aged Syrian Latakia blends, as I wanted to taste a varietal that is there no more.

At least I am happy that the scalpers are putting food on the table for their hungry kids by price gouging adults- At least they are not selling drugs to children or robbing / burgling. That’s a win!

It's not gouging when it is a non essential item. There's a tends of thousands of pipe smokers who don't even know what Stonehenge is and are perfectly content.
I 100% disagree. The attitude of price gouging does not stop at non-essential goods. These are the same people who will not bat an eyelid to price gouge essential goods.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I 100% disagree. The attitude of price gouging does not stop at non-essential goods. These are the same people who will not bat an eyelid to price gouge essential goods.
You're welcome to your opinion. I don't have a high opinion of someone who primarily participates in a friendly forum for the sake of profit. All it takes to end it though is for other members to refuse to pay the price.

When someone chooses to buy a non essential luxury item at a price over retail, they're not feeling gouged. If the buyer isn't feeling gouged, I can find no logic in someone else defining it as price gouging. YMMV though.

You're welcome to your opinion. I don't have a high opinion of someone who primarily participates in a friendly forum for the sake of profit. All it takes to end it though is for other members to refuse to pay the price.

When someone chooses to buy a non essential luxury item at a price over retail, they're not feeling gouged. If the buyer isn't feeling gouged, I can find no logic in someone else defining it as price gouging. YMMV though.
True Story : I lived in Jersey City NJ before which is full of hustlers and thieves.
I was once accosted by a thief, with a brand new bicycle which was obviously stolen, at a discount. Of course I declined, as I felt it was not the right thing to do - both morally and legally.
Buying the stolen good would have been condoning stealing. I feel the same way.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
The only thing that bothers me, is when the RETAILERS, “sell out” blends then list them as consignment tins. There are two I know of that practice this, so they don’t get my business.
As for high prices, I just spend what I’m comfortable with; I don’t really seek out the unicorn blends. Seeing a $45 bag of esoterica going for $300 ? But I don’t resent those doing it, or getting it. Nor do I care if people pay it. I set my own valuations, and pay what I want. If my price point is too low, I just do without. There are PLENTY of readily available blends out there, and save vintage tins with significant age on them, that’s good enough for me. We all have our own opinions, and mine says that a 600% markup isn’t justifiable to my pocketbook.

One can't begrudge others for offering their goods at whatever price they wish. No one is forcing the buyer to pay the price and like Hoosier so eloquently stated, this is a nonessential item, not bread to a poverty stricken society..
A deal is made when a buyer believes the offering is worth more to them than the money they have to shell out. Free enterprise is still a thing in the free world and so is freedom of choice.

Even at obscene prices like, let's say that someone has 8 ounces of McClelland 5100 and wants 300 bucks for it. If the buyer thinks "that works out to 37.50 per ounce. At 2.8 grams per pipe, that's $3.75 per pipeful. That pipeful is 90 minutes of pleasure or about the same one would get out of a cigar. A cigar for $3.75 a stick is a pretty damn mediocre cigar whereas McClelland 5100 is a Holy Grail tobacco to some (NOT ME) at the same price as the shit-stick.

ALL THAT BEING SAID. It's too rich for my blood but I don't look down on others for taking the hook nor do I scorn those that offer it up. We all have our limits. Don't like the price? Click on the "new posts" drop down and move on.

Frankly, I have purchased many bags of a certain "unobtanium" on this forum for well over MSRP and don't regret a single dollar I have spent. The stuff is worth more to me than the money I paid for it. As always this is just My opinion. puffy

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Thought I was smooth with my TAD pickup today at the local B&M, as I got 5 tins of Esoterica blends.
Then I looked in the tobacco for sale/trade forum, and started crying because now I have to cellar my tins instead of smoking them.
I also need to cash in my retirement account, because clearly Esoterica is a much faster maturing, high growth investment, for which I won't even be paying any capital gains. All these years I've been a fool. A FOOL!

(I am not a finance professional, this is not advice. I just like the tobacco. TO THE MOON!)
?? ?? Ape strong! Hold the Line!

One can't begrudge others for offering their goods at whatever price they wish. No one is forcing the buyer to pay the price and like Hoosier so eloquently stated, this is a nonessential item, not bread to a poverty stricken society..
A deal is made when a buyer believes the offering is worth more to them than the money they have to shell out. Free enterprise is still a thing in the free world and so is freedom of choice.

Even at obscene prices like, let's say that someone has 8 ounces of McClelland 5100 and wants 300 bucks for it. If the buyer thinks "that works out to 37.50 per ounce. At 2.8 grams per pipe, that's $3.75 per pipeful. That pipeful is 90 minutes of pleasure or about the same one would get out of a cigar. A cigar for $3.75 a stick is a pretty damn mediocre cigar whereas McClelland 5100 is a Holy Grail tobacco to some (NOT ME) at the same price as the shit-stick.

ALL THAT BEING SAID. It's too rich for my blood but I don't look down on others for taking the hook nor do I scorn those that offer it up. We all have our limits. Don't like the price? Click on the "new posts" drop down and move on.

Frankly, I have purchased many bags of a certain "unobtanium" on this forum for well over MSRP and don't regret a single dollar I have spent. The stuff is worth more to me than the money I paid for it. As always this is just My opinion. puffy
You are correct ... and incorrect at the same time.

Let’s do a thought experiment...

1. Pipestud has a rare Barling for sale
2. Sablebrush52 wants it
3. You want it
4. Hoosier want it

You all get into an auction and the highest bidder wins it. That is a perfect example of the buyer determining the price

Another example ... cosmic has aged his Virginias in his cellar for many years. He wants to sell it at a premium because of the effort and time. Mso thinks it is worth and buys it. Another good behavior.

Now think ... SmokingPipes has 5000 Peterson pipes for sale, at an average price of 100$. Brobs writes a bot to scrape SmokingPipes site and buy all of them. Then he sells at 500$ a piece. There was no scarcity in Peterson pipes at all - That is price gouging. Morally unjustifiable.

Finally let’s say, a robber raids the SmokingPipes warehouse and steals all 500 Peterson pipes, and sells them at 50$ each. That is also morally unjustifiable.

If I were you and loved Stonehaven so much, I would hire a Concierge and pay him 100$ per bag to drive to all B&M within driving distance and buy all the Stonehaven I need. Same price paid, but the mode of operation is different. That concierge is earning a honest $.

2. Sablebrush52 wants it
3. You want it
4. Hoosier want it

You all get into an auction and the highest bidder wins it. That is a perfect example of the buyer determining the price

Another example ... cosmic has aged his Virginias in his cellar for many years. He wants to sell it at a premium because of the effort and time. Mso thinks it is worth and buys it. Another good behavior.

Now think ... SmokingPipes has 5000 Peterson pipes for sale, at an average price of 100$. Brobs writes a bot to scrape SmokingPipes site and buy all of them. Then he sells at 500$ a piece. There was no scarcity in Peterson pipes at all - That is price gouging. Morally unjustifiable.

Finally let’s say, a robber raids the SmokingPipes warehouse and steals all 500 Peterson pipes, and sells them at 50$ each. That is also morally unjustifiable.
I respect your opinion. Mine just differs and I am happy to agree that we don't agree. Oh, and I like you as a person too! puffy

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

2. Sablebrush52 wants it
3. You want it
4. Hoosier want it

If Brobs bought 5000 Petersons to try to sell at $500 each, he'd end up with at least 4,998 Petersons to call his own. But if Brobs is enterprising enough to give that a go, good for him. You call it going, I'd call it entrepreneurship.

If Brobs bought 5000 Petersons to try to sell at $500 each, he'd end up with at least 4,998 Petersons to call his own. But if Brobs is enterprising enough to give that a go, good for him. You call it going, I'd call it entrepreneurship.
I re-read my example and it was funny ?

Entrepreneurs aspire to provide a value to the market they hope to serve. If the market also perceives a value then he is a successful entrepreneur. If the market does not perceive the value, then it’s a lesson learnt and onward ho to the next venture.

A price gouger does not provide any additional value to the market.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I re-read my example and it was funny ?

Entrepreneurs aspire to provide a value to the market they hope to serve. If the market also perceives a value then he is a successful entrepreneur. If the market does not perceive the value, then it’s a lesson learnt and onward ho to the next venture.

A price gouger does not provide any additional value to the market.

Thanks for making my point. The guy selling the $300 per bag Stonehaven obviously was providing value to the market. At least one person who wanted Stonehaven saw the value and spent the money. Hence, it wasn't price gouging.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama

2. Sablebrush52 wants it
3. You want it
4. Hoosier want it

Here's another thought.
5- 8oz bags of Esoterica has 1134 grams.
If it takes 3 grams per pipe there is 378 of smokes.
$1500.00 divided by 378 equals $3.96 per pipe smoke.
Is it worth it.
It is to someone willing and able to pay for it at that price for whatever the motivation.

Thanks for making my point. The guy selling the $300 per bag Stonehaven obviously was providing value to the market. At least one person who wanted Stonehaven saw the value and spent the money. Hence, it wasn't price gouging.
No ... the original tobacco merchant was providing value. The gouger did not. To get into why ... it will require a lot of discussion.... so I will leave you with an example...

You are a contractor. You provide value by buying raw materials, bringing in masons and manage the overall project. Do you think your customer would see value or your business would sustain if you just sold the raw materials at a premium and let the customer fend for himself?

Reactions: Jacob74
Status
Not open for further replies.