PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've gotten some questions about capitalization of titles. All key words and proper names need initial capitals. Then, what is important? The subject of the post.
Not important are articles, prepositions and pronouns. (a, the, an; in, over, about; you, her, they)

Always there'll be exceptions, and in correcting titles, some I've done poorly, and some are a matter of opinion as to what should be emphasized or not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People don't read newspapers anymore, so they aren't exposed to the headline form. What's worse is that the newspapers don't hire as many copy editors as they once did, so the headlines aren't what they used to be. Everything online is a shambles. There are no style standards, and half the people who post are insane with anger, so can barely write. So Forums posts are a good place to try for better and create titles/headlines that are correctly formatted and concise, precise and specific. Ah, the glory days. Subscribe to your local paper -- the lucky few who have them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The old timers I knew in the newspaper business must all be revolving in their crypts. To write a good headline, a really good one, requires skills comparable to writing a well-turned sonnet. Often you had to do them to a character count to fit a certain size type face in a certain number of columns. And that under deadline, sometimes minutes.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My wife, rest her soul, worked for the Chicago Trib and the Anchorage Daily News, was sadly disappointed in the fact that journalism morphed into activism, staring in late '70's. She shared a Pulitzer and a Loab Award in her storied career. I was extremely proud. As an aside, we met when she was working the "police beat" and was assigned, to my disgust, for spend a shift with me. Worked out for the best. Well, for me anyway.

People observed I married way above my station in life. I happily agreed with them.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I typeset for a living these days. Title case can vary quite a bit depending on what style guide you use. My 9 to 5 gig goes by AP; for much of my freelance work, I adhere to Chicago Manual of Style (most style guides, if not all, will use capitals for pronouns, by the way). Prepositions are most often lower case, but some style guides suggest if the preposition has four or more letters, it gets a capital. Sometimes, it seems so arbitrary.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The only unimportant word in the English language is the word unimportant itself!

unimportant, adj.​

View as:
Keywords:
Quotations:
  • Show all |
  • Brit. Hear pronunciation/ˌʌnɪmˈpɔːt(ə)nt/
    U.S. Hear pronunciation/ˌənᵻmˈpɔrtnt/
Frequency (in current use): Show frequency band information
Etymology: un- prefix1 1.

1. Unassuming, modest. rare.
1727 A. Pope Corr. 8 Mar. (1956) II. 426 A free, un-important, natural, easy manner; diverting others just as we diverted ourselves.

2. Of no importance or moment.
1750 Ld. Chesterfield Let. 1 Nov. (1932) (modernized text) IV. 1597 Ransacking..the minute and unimportant parts of remote and fabulous times.

1798 S. Lee Young Lady's Tale in H. Lee Canterbury Tales II. 465 He was too unimportant to act on [the passions]..of any one around him.

1841 E. Miall in Nonconformist 1 1 The ends they sought appeared too unimportant to justify the cost.

1869 E. A. Freeman Hist. Norman Conquest III. xi. 53 Esegar and Bondig play not unimportant parts in the great struggles of the year.
in combination.
1841 T. Carlyle On Heroes iv. 207 There was not a more entirely unimportant-looking pair of people.

"Can We Just Get Rid Of Titles?"

Puff-not-snuff, do you mean like a certain former HRH who is now a private citizen? :LOL:

Regards,

Jay.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
As would we all.

As I've gotten bolder in my editing – not just for caps– I try to include the general content, and shorten titles that are too long.
I realized after reading this that I am guilty. As a responsible member I will strive to do better in my future posts.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No worries, Monty. All we ask is that folks try their best!

--
Andre, a simple peasant, had only one thing on his mind as he crept along the East wall: "Andre creep ... Andre creep ... Andre creep."

Reactions: edger