PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
The Holiday season is a double-edged sword for some all of with TAD. It sucks. All of our favorite tobaccos are on sale. Limited releases come out. And to encourage us to buy, they are on sale as well. Every good online pipe tobacconist stocks up and are full of goodies and hard to finds. The way things are going this year, we may well see Penzance, Stonehaven, GH, SG, Germain and several others of that ilk readily available - and you guessed it - probably on sale, too. But - only after you blew the fiscal wad on the previous great pipe tobacco sale!
The problem here is so many desirable goodies vs limited disposable income! I guess that's a good problem to have. Still, it sucks to let such delicacies slip away. It seems that around March or April, when things get tight again, remorse sets in and we wish we really loaded up - forget what the wife says about sleeping in the garage with the dog & cats.
So, yeah, this time of year kinda sucks!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
The Holiday season is a double-edged sword for some all of with TAD. It sucks. All of our favorite tobaccos are on sale. Limited releases come out. And to encourage us to buy, they are on sale as well. Every good online pipe tobacconist stocks up and are full of goodies and hard to finds. The way things are going this year, we may well see Penzance, Stonehaven, GH, SG, Germain and several others of that ilk readily available - and you guessed it - probably on sale, too. But - only after you blew the fiscal wad on the previous great pipe tobacco sale!
The problem here is so many desirable goodies vs limited disposable income! I guess that's a good problem to have. Still, it sucks to let such delicacies slip away. It seems that around March or April, when things get tight again, remorse sets in and we wish we really loaded up - forget what the wife says about sleeping in the garage with the dog & cats.
So, yeah, this time of year kinda sucks!
You poor bastard. How do you even manage? Lifes tough eh?

Can't say I know how you feel though. Here in Nanny State Australia, 50 grams of tobacco is now over $120.
Like I said, lifes tough.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
You poor bastard. How do you even manage? Lifes tough eh?

Can't say I know how you feel though. Here in Nanny State Australia, 50 grams of tobacco is now over $120.
Like I said, lifes tough.
Thank God I've got enough to last me the rest of my days. If we saw those kind of prices here in the US and I didn't have a deep cellar, I'd give up pipe smoking for sure. I will pray for all of you.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
It can be an expensive time of the year for sure but it doesn't have to be.

If you can, establish a base cellar with good amounts of what you regularly like to smoke. Once you have that you can actually save money by taking advantage of sales this time of year to either broaden your cellar with blends you don't have or deepen your cellar with blends you have but really like.

The idea is have plenty of a few you really like and aren't cellaring for aging purposes or saving for special occasions. This will carry you through lean spells when certain blends might not be available and through regular, non-sale prices yet still have sufficient amounts to enjoy without experiencing impulse or panic buying. That type of buying is what is expensive.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Thank God I've got enough to last me the rest of my days. If we saw those kind of prices here in the US and I didn't have a deep cellar, I'd give up pipe smoking for sure. I will pray for all of you.
Thanks Ray.

When we first heard that the law was going to change re; importing tobacco without a license, those ''in the know who knew a guy'' said the laws would only effect commercial quantity.
But I had a bad feeling so I ordered as much tobacco as my disability pension allowed.
My warnings to other Aussies to do the same earned me much scorn on social media, with dumb-dumbs calling me ''paranoid'' [amongst other not so nice things]

So I've got a reasonable stash that will keep me going for at least a few years.
With the help of a kind member here [thank you Jay] I've got a couple of pounds running the gauntlet as well as a couple from on-line. [Received a pound of Butternut Burley recently. Yay!]

I'm also growing several plants a year for when my stash is low. [Another kind soul from the U.S. sent me some rather special seeds. Thank you Doc]

I'm much better off than most Aussie pipe smokers and grateful for what I have but gee, I can't help shaking my head when I read those who have access to baccy at reasonable cost having a whinge.

Were I living in the U.S., I'd be so grateful that the self appointed arbiters of social conscience, the rabid anti-smoking lobby and corrupt officialdom, are being held at bay . . . but, for how long?

Cellar deep people. Tobacco is actually a solid investment. No such thing as ''too much'' tobacco.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Thanks Ray.

When we first heard that the law was going to change re; importing tobacco without a license, those ''in the know who knew a guy'' said the laws would only effect commercial quantity.
But I had a bad feeling so I ordered as much tobacco as my disability pension allowed.
My warnings to other Aussies to do the same earned me much scorn on social media, with dumb-dumbs calling me ''paranoid'' [amongst other not so nice things]

So I've got a reasonable stash that will keep me going for at least a few years.
With the help of a kind member here [thank you Jay] I've got a couple of pounds running the gauntlet as well as a couple from on-line. [Received a pound of Butternut Burley recently. Yay!]

I'm also growing several plants a year for when my stash is low. [Another kind soul from the U.S. sent me some rather special seeds. Thank you Doc]

I'm much better off than most Aussie pipe smokers and grateful for what I have but gee, I can't help shaking my head when I read those who have access to baccy at reasonable cost having a whinge.

Were I living in the U.S., I'd be so grateful that the self appointed arbiters of social conscience, the rabid anti-smoking lobby and corrupt officialdom, are being held at bay . . . but, for how long?

Cellar deep people. Tobacco is actually a solid investment. No such thing as ''too much'' tobacco.
Re that last, chopper, Golden Words for sure!

Reactions: chopper

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I reiterate, tobacco will survive. One just needs to insure they have the moneys to enjoy it. Prices usually go up. Taxes increase. But, keep in mind money devalues over time also. Gotta plan ahead. For those who can't increase their purchasing power. hoarding may be a good idea.

PS: This is a luxury we're bemoaning the cost of here and not a necessity. I'm sure some of you will contest that statement though.rotf

Status
Not open for further replies.