PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
I received this nice, big Jumbos Whitehall (or Whitehall Jumbos). Big pipe! Needs a bit of work.

20220825_193916164_iOS.jpg

It appears that the rim was severely charred and the burn was scraped away.

20220825_193923206_iOS.jpg

That's a real shame. Normally I could "top" it--take a few millimeters off--but there's too much damage here. That's about a quarter inch down the stummel. The stem is in could shape. Just needs cleaning and TLC.

20220825_193940042_iOS.jpg

Both stummel and stem got a good scrubbing. I took the above picture, went down to the shop, and went to work over the basement sink. Here's a picture of the stem taken just eight minutes later. It doesn't take a lot of work to clean a stem. Just a few squirts of AWESOME cleanser ($1.25) full-strength and a toothbrush.

20220825_194712346_iOS.jpg

I set the stem aside. Later, I will lightly sand and polish it. The stummel had lots of dings and dents. I spent quite a lot of time sanding. And sanding. And sanding. I decided to simply remove the damage from the rim area and round it out all around. This way the stummel does not lose any of its height.

20220826_155231786_iOS.jpg

(I lightly colored the sanded stummel with light brown leather dye and polished it up.) I sanded the stem with alcohol and 1000-1500-grit wet/dry sandpaper. The resulting pipe is quite pretty.

20220826_155224978_iOS.jpg

20220826_155150105_iOS.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Nice work, as usual
I like your solution to the rim damage and the stain job.

My thought was that the previous owner was in the habit of tapping/knocking the pipe on the heel of his shoes to empty the bowl after each smoke. 😖

• Wow
Reactions: tklee

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Nice work, as usual
I like your solution to the rim damage and the stain job.

My thought was that the previous owner was in the habit of tapping/knocking the pipe on the heel of his shoes to empty the bowl after each smoke. 😖
tapping / knocking on the heel will result the ruin on the rim bro? 😮 But heel is considered soft..... I have a habit of knocking my pipe on the wooden cork that's stuck on my ash tray. Will it cause any damage in long term? 😮

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
tapping / knocking on the heel will result the ruin on the rim bro? 😮 But heel is considered soft..... I have a habit of knocking my pipe on the wooden cork that's stuck on my ash tray. Will it cause any damage in long term? 😮
I have quite a few estate pipes with that exact rim damage
I'm sure the previous owners would tap them on something to knock out the dottle/ash.
The heel of a shoe or boot would be the most convenient object if you're out and about.

I'm sure knocking on a piece of cork won't result in any damage.

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
Nice choice with the rim! I think this is my favorite restore of your so far!

I have quite a few estate pipes with that exact rim damage
I'm sure the previous owners would tap them on something to knock out the dottle/ash.
The heel of a shoe or boot would be the most convenient object if you're out and about.

I'm sure knocking on a piece of cork won't result in any damage.
It's so odd that the rest of the rim shows no damage--just that front section. It sure looks like it was knocked against something hard. The scars are vertical with the grain.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It's so odd that the rest of the rim shows no damage--just that front section. It sure looks like it was knocked against something hard. The scars are vertical with the grain.
What leads me to think it is a "knock" damage is the edge of the rim is the most fragile part of the bowl and it would "chip" easily if knocked repeatedly

If dropped, you would expect some other scuff mark(s)