This Is The Amazing World That Forum Member Workman Calls Home.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
New Cigars
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'd like to make another remark, if for nothing else, then because I like the sound of my fingers, tapping the phone.
You claim the argument of being modern. In our modern times of great illumination, such ancient practices should cease, or something like that.
I would claim the opposite. By now, we should be enlightened enough to realize that our western capitalist, christian, white culture, with all its merits, is also a great destructive force. European and American imperialistic politics and cultural practices have destroyed countless nations, cultures, religions and of course nature itself in vast areas of the world.
In our day and age we ought to have learned to be more humble in our approach to different cultures and ways of living.
What about the American South? Should they go back to old cultural ways?

Culture is not an excuse for cruel actions. Neither is modernism.

Reactions: workman

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
What about the American South? Should they go back to old cultural ways?

Culture is not an excuse for cruel actions. Neither is modernism.
Of course they should! Have you ever heard Blind Willie Johnson? Mississippi John Hurt? Billie Holiday? Geeshie Wiley and Elvie Thomas? That's greatness right there!
On a more serious note, you seem to think that killing animals for food equals slavery and the lynchings of black people in the american south. And mayan practices of human sacrifice.
As I said before, your views are perfectly legitimate, but they are so very far from my own that further discussion seems futile.
Thank you for taking the time to discuss these matters. You have made your points and I have made mine.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
One final note: I challenge those who defend eating meat to eat their dog.

If you won’t.. ask yourself why.

Why is a dog worthy of living in our home, yet a sentient being that is in fact more intelligent than a dog and most 3 year old children only worthy of being slaughtered for food?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
One final note: I challenge those who defend eating meat to eat their dog.

If you won’t.. ask yourself why.

Why is a dog worthy of living in our home, yet a sentient being that is in fact more intelligent than a dog and most 3 year old children only worthy of being slaughtered for food?
So you are vegan then?

Reactions: BROBS

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Culture is not an excuse for cruel actions.

Not to pick a fight but I think you're underestimating the power of culture. It governs virtually everything we do, including what we consider an appropriate diet. You're correct, there's no objective dietary reason to select a pig instead of a dog (or a grasshopper for that matter). But don't act like culture isn't valid. On the contrary, that's the most valid reason there is and the pressure to conform to it is immense and lifelong.

Reactions: BROBS

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Please guys, this thread is not about carnivore versus vegan.

I started this thread to showcase the stamping ground of a well known forum member, not as a platform for spouting one's beliefs regards filling their bellies.

Brobs, you are better than this so please agree to disagree with Workman and hopefully this thread will die it's natural death as all threads do, not hurried along by folks bickering.

Regards,

Jay.?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Please guys, this thread is not about carnivore versus vegan.

I started this thread to showcase the stamping ground of a well known forum member, not as a platform for spouting one's beliefs regards filling their bellies.

Brobs, you are better than this so please agree to disagree with Workman and hopefully this thread will die it's natural death as all threads do, not hurried along by folks bickering.

Regards,

Jay.?
Thank you for starting this thread Jay. It is a pleasure for me to get this kind of rare attention, and as you can deduce I am proud of my heritage and culture.
I think the various discussions in this thread all worthy, but definitely not in the spirit intended by Jay, the OP.
So, thank you again Jay, and the rest of us should keep to the subject or else start new threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.